- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Skinny Mexican Pizza
A perfect pizza
I made this for the first time recently and was impressed with how amazing it tasted (both with tofu and with turkey - according to my company), but also at how filling it was. Once done in the oven, I cut them into 4 pieces and found myself stuffed with 1! The same was true of my company that evening. This works as a main dish, but should absolutely be considered for an appetizer at your next dinner party as well. Just cut up into smaller pieces.
Along the way you will find things you may want to add (like salsa as it's own layer in the pizza which I will be trying the next time), or take out, like black olives! Feel free. Do what you want. I have a sneaking suspicion that this would turn out great as long as your changes suit your tastes!
- 6 Whole Wheat Tortilla Shells
- Can Fat Free Refried Bean, Make sure you select a vegetarian option. Most beans are not.
- 14 oz Extra Firm Tofu, For a healthy meat option, I made this with ground turkey (along with mine). Get 1 LB of turkey.
- 1 bag Taco Seasoning
- to taste Salt & Pepper
- to taste Cayenne Pepper
- to taste Chili Powder
- to taste Oregano or Italian Seasoning
- 3/4 Cup Water, You only need this is you are also doing turkey.
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tomato, Diced
- 2 Green Onions, Thinly sliced
- 3/4 Cup Mexican Cheese, Shredded blend.
- 3 Tablespoons Sour Cream, Fat Free
- 1 Tablespoons Canola Oil, This is more than enough to coat shells, but you will need more for cooking the tofu or turkey.
- 1 small can Black Olives
- Brush both sides of each tortilla shell with Canola Oil and broil them for about 2 minutes on each side. They get brown and puffy and delicious looking. Just pull them out and set them aside as they are completed.
- Open and drain tofu, patting with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons of oil to a skillet (depending on the size). Crumble or cut your tofu, and place in a skillet. Add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and oregano (or Italian Seasoning), mixing as you add. Cook until tofu starts to brown - about 15 minutes if cut.
- Once the tofu starts to brown, add taco seasoning and blend. Cook another 10-20 minutes, depending on your perferences. I like my tofu browned (so I got the max time - a total of 30 minutes). If you are using ground turkey, step 3 is the same. In this step, when you add the taco seasoning, also add your water. I do this gradually, mixing while I do.
- Add re-fried beans to a skillet, along with the vegetable broth and blend. This is to thin the beans out, making them more easily spreadable.
- Now that your tofu and or meat is all cooked, and the beans are thinned, you are ready to build your pizza! Take a tortilla shell, and spread beans on it. Put your meat on top of that, along with cheese.
- Put the second tortilla on top of that, adding the tomato, black olives, green onions, and additional cheese.
- Place your three pizzas on cookie sheets and bake at 400 only until cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges, adding a dollop of sour scream to the top. I also prepare rice (in a rice cooker) and serve them together.