Slow Cooked Roots
Choose your own favourite vegetable selection - they don't need
to be exclusively root vegetables. Try replacing the turnips with
courgettes, a small aubergine or red peppers. Eat as a supper
dish, or as an accompaniment to roasts.
YOU WILL NEED:
450g/1 Ib potatoes
4 medium carrots
3 medium parsnips
2 small turnips
2 large onions
2 large garlic cloves
Small bunch of fresh parsley
300ml 1/2 pint chicken or vegetable stock
300ml 1/2 pint milk
2 tbsp olive 0il
Freshly milled salt and black pepper
50g/ 1 3/4 oz butter
1. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips
and onions. Crush the garlic and finely chop the
2. Pour the stock, milk and oil into a large jug and stir in the
garlic, parsley and plenty of seasoning.
3. Use a little of the butter to grease a large ovenproof
casserole. Fill with layers of vegetables adding some of the
liquid to each layer.
4. Dot the remaining butter on top.
5. Cover, put in the oven and cook at 180'C, Fan 165'C, Gas
4 for 1-1 1/4 hours or until the vegetables are soft.