- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings- Just like Cracker Barrel!
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Chicken cut into serving pieces and skinned, You can use a frying chicken or an equal amount of skinned breast meat
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, Halved and Sliced
- 1 Celery Stalk, Sliced
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock, You can also use Bullion cubes if you do not have stock on hand
- 3 Carrots, Peeled and Sliced
- 2 Sprigs Marjoram
- Ground Pepper, Add to taste (as much as you like)
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour, To be used for Dumplings
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder, To be used for Dumplings
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt, To be used for Dumplings
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, To be used for Dumplings
- 1/4 Cup Parsley, For Garnish
Chicken and Dumplings
Everyone has that one meal that is so comforting and wonderful that they crave it year round. For me that meal is chicken and dumplings. This has been a favorite meal of mine for a long time but I usually only ate it when I went to Cracker Barrel. Now, with this simple recipe, I can have it any time I want! Very simple slow cooker meal! Enjoy!
Preparing the Meal
Combine the flour and salt in a ziplock bag, or a bowl will work just as well. Add the chicken and coat it completely with the mixture. Keep the leftover mixture for the vegetables.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until both sides are browned. Transfer to paper towels to drain then place the chicken in the slow cooker.
Add the onion and celery to the remaining flour and salt mixture and coat completely. Sauté them over medium heat in oil for about 10-15 minutes until browned. Slowly add in the chicken stock, frequently stirring it into the vegetable mix. Stir in carrots, marjoram, and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour this mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 3.5 hours then on high for 30 minutes before dropping the dumplings in.
Making the Dumplings!
To Make The Dumplings:
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to blend. Put butter and milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Drizzle into the dry ingredients and mix well. You will get a very dry, sticky dough.
Before putting the dough in, add the peas to the slow cooker.
Using your hands or a spoon, make small balls of the dough and place them on top of the stew.
Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the dough comes out clean. Remove and discard the marjoram stems.
As you begin plating the meal, garnish with the parsley.
That's it! I hope you enjoy your homecooked Chicken and Dumplings!