Slow Cooker Coca Cola Pot Roast
In truth, when considering the concept of cooking with a slow cooker, no one can forget to include some form of recognition for pot roast, simply because it is a meal within itself, and perhaps is one of the easiest meals to throw together before running out for the day. Not only that, but when there are left overs, can make an amazing sandwich.
In the slow cooker, the roast nearly falls to pieces, increasing the delicious aspects of the meal with tantilizing taste and melt-in-your-mouth goodness. It is in recognizing this I have searched all over trying to locate an amazing roast recipe, and while many are amazing, I have created my own out of several recipes I have tried over the years, and find that it is fulfilling on numerous levels.
Not nly this, but when there is enough left over, it is easy to reheat the leftovers, place them between two slices of toasted french bread, and add a couple of slices of provolone cheese for an excellent sub the next night!
Admittedly, when I began working with these combinations, I was amazed how difficult it is to create a roast recipe that doesn't come out perfect almost every time! Each ingredient which has been chosen and measured out was built to create a unique combination of flavors, while also attempting to set the roast apart from all the others. By using the combination, the perfect correlation of ingredients have created a perfect flavor which is both complimenting and unique.
The recipe is one which has been requested many times, and normally, upon hearing the ingredients, many believe that I have to be lying about the combination. Plus, like all slow cooker recipes, this one again creates the idea that you have to slave over a hot stove for a day just to achieve the flavor and delicacy of this roast.
- 4 lb. rump roast
- 6-8 red potatoes, cut in quarters
- 5-6 carrots, cut up into larger pieces
- 3-4 pieces turkey bacon, cut into inch pieces
- 16 oz. boiler onions
- 1 can Coca Cola
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Using a sharp knife, cut deep slices into the roast and insert 1/2 teaspoon of garlic in each hole until all garlic is utilized, and also include some of the small strips of turkey bacon.
- In pan, heat up the oil, and brown the roast on both sides.
- Place the onions, potatoes, and carrots into the bottom of slow cooker while the roast cools.
- After the roast cools to the point you can handle it, mix all the spices together and rub over the entire roast.
- Pour the can of coca cola over the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Place the roast over the vegetables, and cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours, or until tender.
- Serve with bread! NOTE: If there is any remaining roast, can use it in a sub style sandwich. Using french bread, with light dabs of butter and placing 1-2 pieces of provolone cheese on the bread, broil until lightly toasted and add meat!
Obviously, since the potatoes and carrots are cooking with this roast, there is truly no need to add any additional sides, minus perhaps a bread. Recognizing this, will only make a couple of the suggestions that my family has enjoyed as a bread with this meal: 7-Up Biscuits, Irsih Soda Bread, Pumpkin Bread, or a Zuchinni Bread.
While all types of bread, minus perhaps garlic bread, compliment this meal, I have found that the ones I mentioned are excellent compliments, that also add an additional unique flavor. They are also more of a sweet bread, so it helps to further compliment the coca cola flavoring from the roast.