Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken
Truthfully, I created this recipe in one of the fluke moods I was in. One day, it was just my husband and I in the home, so I thought I would toss together a few ingredients and try for an easy BBQ Chicken in the crock pot so that I could place a higher focus on my homework that afternoon.
Unfortunately, I did not realize that my crockpot was not warm enough, and we were sitting without dinner that night. I corrected the crockpot and let it cook overnight, and the next day, took it to our family's Sunday dinner. At first, I was worried because there are 7 people when we get together usually, and I had only placed six small chicken breasts into cook. Even with a couple of large eaters in my family, we had plenty for everyone, and even enough to take some to a neighbor!
Everyone loved it! This would not seem like a high praise, but my father has always been a large BBQ fan, and while many of us do not eat pork in the family, it was unbelievable when my dad said he actually enjoyed these sandwiches more than his normal boston butt recipe!
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 lbs. whole chicken breasts, uncooked
- 2 c. BBQ Sauce, your favorite flavor
- 1/3 c. Italian salad dressing
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 2 tbsp. grape jelly
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, sugar and Worcestershire sauce, mustard and grape jelly.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board, and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Return shredded chicken to sauce, and stir until chicken is coated well.
- Cover and continue cooking on low for an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve on bun, with favorite sides
Some excellent additions to this meal include coleslaw and pickles for your sandwhiches, and either chips, fries, or onion rings. This is one of the great recipes that can even be utilized for summer!
On the day that I discovered this recipe, I also discovered it was time to get a new slow cooker, because it would not cook. That night, I switched it over to another cooker, and let it simmer all night so I could prepare lunch for the Sunday family dinner. And as I mentioned, this was an instant hit!