- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Snacks from Sweet Potatoes
There are plenty of sweet potatoes products in my country and the price are also quite cheap. But actually, sweet potatoes also have many health benefits specially for anti aging and rich in antioxidant.
Sweet potatoes rich in beta caroten, vitamin C, folat acid, zing, copper, calcium, and fiber.
Sweet potatoes facts
Sweet potatoes or yams have many health benefits. Yams are a good source of vitamin B6. In Japan, the price of yam flour is 4 times higher than regular flour or wheat flour. In Singapore, yam flour is 25% more expensive than the wheat flour. Why? Because of the nutrition's facts in yams. Sweet potatoes (lpomoea batatas) is good for people with diabetes because it contains simple sugar and low glicemic index level.
Sweet potatoes is also very rich in pro-vitamin A or retinol. Imagine, in 100 grams of sweet potatoes contained 2310 mcg vitamin A (equivalent to one tablet of vitamin A). Even compared to spinach and water spinach, vitamin A in sweet potatoes is still at a higher level. Sweet potatoes are also have high fiber level. Good to prevent digestive tract cancers and carcinogens that caused cancer in the body.
Sweet potatoes muffin
150 g sweet potatoes, steamed and mashed
100 g margarine / butter
100 g sugar
4 egg yolks
2 egg white
100 g wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100 g cooking chocolate, melted
50 g of cooking chocolate, chopped
1. Mix together margarine and sugar until fluffy stiff. Add the yolk and egg whites one at a time and mix in medium speed.
2. Add flour, baking powder and sweet potatoes. Stir well. Pour the melted chocolate and chopped, stir well.
3. Bake at 356F for about 20 minutes or 180C with the same time.
For 10 pieces
Ubi Talam / Sweet Potatoes Steamed Cake
250 gr Sweet potatoes
35 gr wheat flour
50 ml coconut milk
2 ts canola oil
1 ts sugar
1/2 tsp salt
50 gr walnut or almond sliced, save 25 gr for the topping
canola oil for spread
40 gr wheat flour
1 1/2 ts starch
250 ml coconut oil
2 ts canola oil
50 gr sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Fill the steamer with water and heat it. Peel the sweet potatoes, cut dice 1/2 cm. Weigh 200 gr, set 150 gr and 50 gr of sweet potatoes, separate them with banana leaves, steamed.
After a half done yams, but still hard, lift the 50 gr sweet potatoes from the steamer and smashed. Continue steaming the remaining balance until cooked and tender.
2. Prepare small bowls or mold diameter 4 cm, basting with canola oil.
3. Mix wheat flour with coconut milk, stir. Add canola oil, sugar, and salt, stir well. Add the 150 steamed diced sweet potatoes, stir Pour the batter into the bowls or moldings until 2/3 full and steam for 15 minutes.
4. Topping : Mix the wheat flour and starch, add coconut milk, stir. Add the 50 gr smashed sweet potatoes, stir well. Add canola oil, sugar, and salt. stir. Pour on top of the bowl until full and steamed about 30 minutes. Lift. Add the walnut.
Note : You may use any kind of mold that works with the steamer.
Canola oil is made from rapeseed and it's a mono unsaturated oil.
Canola oil :
Low of saturated fat, but very high mono unsaturated fat. It won't increase the bad cholesterol (LDL) in blood.
Rich in vitamin E, the natural antioxidant.
Contains omega-3 and omega-6 that can not be produced in the body, good for cell regeneration and prevent heart attacks and strokes, also great in reducing the pain of rheumatoid arthritis patients.