Some special snacks of Kerala.
Bread Fruit Chips.
Bread fruit is a common fruit of Kerala which is known as Kadachakka in Malayalam. This is closely related to jack fruit and belongs to mulberry family. it contains vitamin-c,potassium,and copper . this reduces cholesterol. Verity of dishes can be prepared with this fruit.
Bread fruit -1
Oil -500 gm.
Salt -To taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation.
- Peel the skin of the bread fruit and chop the breadfruit into long thin pieces,
- Apply turmeric powder to the pieces.
- Take 2 table spoon of water and make salt water by dissolving the required quantity of salt.
- Pour oil into a frying pan and deep fry the breadfruit
- When the pieces began to become crispy add salt water to the oil .
- When the water content evaporates remove the chips from the oil
- Now the Bread fruit Chips are ready to serve.
Some Special snacks using Rice Flour.
- Rice- 500 gm
- Gaggery- 500 gm
- Season seeds – 2tbs
- Cumin seeds-2 tbs
- Banana – 2
- Coconut pieces - ½ cup
- Powder the gaggery.
- Grind the rice using enough water
- When the grinding is done add gaggery powder banana and grind again .The batter should be of dropping consistency like that of Dosa batter.
- In a pan add 2 tbs ghee and fry season seeds, Cumin seeds, and coconut flakes
- After frying add the fried Items to the batter and keep it in a vessel for 5 to 6 hrs for fermentation.
- Then heat oil in a pan and pour the batter in to the oil with the help of a spatula.
- When the appams are brown in color remove from oil .
- Now the neyyappams are ready to serve.
Cheeda is a special snack mostly prepared in special occasions using rice powder.
- Rice flour – 3cups
- Grated coconut – 1cup
- Peppar powder- 1spoon
- Black til- 2 tbs
- Oil -1/2 kg
METHOD OF PREPARATION
1. in a thick bottomed pan fry rice flour and coconut for 10 minutes
2. By pouring enough water prepare a dough with rice powder
3. Add enough salt and til and make small balls
4. In a pan boil enough oil and deep fry the balls until crispy.
Apply little oil on the palm before making balls with the dough.
This will prevent the sticky nature of the rice.
QUICK AVALOSE BALLS
- Boiled rice – 2cups
- Gaggary – ½ cup
- grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Dry ginger powder – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Clean the boiled rice and fry ..
- when the rice begins to burst remove from the fire and let it cool.
- Grind the rice in a mixer grinder.
- Add gaggery, coconut, ginger powder and cardamom powder to the rice powder And again dry grind.
- When the mixture mix well remove from the grinder and make lemon size balls.