- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Southern Buttermilk Chicken Casserole Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious chicken and vegetable dish that is easy to make, tasty, and elegant? Try this traditional southern recipe the next time you want to enjoy a delicious baked chicken meal. It is both delicious and healthy. It's simple enough to make for any evening meal, and elegant enough for company and special occasions.
Southern Chicken With Buttermilk Grave
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning Blend
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
- 1 pound of small new potatoes (or larger red skin potatoes cut into quarters)
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
Cooking the Chicken
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a skillet.
3. Place chicken in skillet and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.
4. Brown chicken lightly on both sides.
6. In a large casserole dish, combine the chicken broth, Italian seasoning blend, and bay leaves.
7. When the chicken is browned, add it to the skillet.
8. Arrange the potatoes, onion chunks, and cut carrots in the skillet around the chicken.
9. Bake for 45 minutes.
Preparing the Gravy
1. When chicken is cooked, remove 1 cup of the juices from the casserole dish.
2. In a sauce pan, whisk together the pan juices, buttermilk, and flour.
3. Heat to boiling, stirring with whisk constantly.
4. Reduce heat and continue stirring until sauce thickens (about 3-5 minutes).
Serving the Meal
1. Spoon the gravy over the chicken and vegetables to serve.
Everyone in your family is sure to love this delicious chicken recipe. This recipe can be a complete meal all by itself, since it includes meat, potatoes, and vegetables. All you really need is a side of crusty French bread or homemade corn muffins to enjoy a complete meal. You may also want to start out with a fresh and crisp green salad.