Spiced Onion Rings
Onions like garlic are members of the Allium family. Onion are rich in sulfur containing compounds that are responsible for pungent smell and health promoting effects. Onions whether cooked or raw, they add enormous flavours to every dish and they are crucial ingredient in all types of cuisine.
The word onion comes from the Latin word ''unio'' which means ''single''or ''one'' meaning single bulb produced every time.
Onions range in size,color,and taste depending upon their varieties.
There are mainly two types spring/summer onions and storage onions.
Maui,sweet onion,vidalia and walla walla,belong to spring or summer onion,while the spanish onions belongs to storage category.
How to select and use
- When it is between red Onion and white Onion always choose red ones because they have more nutrients
- .Choose onion that are clean well shaped have no opening or cut, with dry or crisp skin.Store them in a ventilated space at room temperature away from heat and bright light.
- Place them in a wire hanging basket or perforated bowl with a raised base so that air can circulate below.
- Store the onions away from potatoes as they absorb the moisture and causing them to spoil more quickly.
- Store cut onions in a sealed container and use them within 2 days as they tend to oxidize and lose their nutrient content easily.
- Cooked onions are best to maintain taste and nutrients,store in a air tight container where they can be kept for few days.
- Don't place the onion in a metal container as this may cause discoloration.
Here is my recipe for Spiced onion rings
- 2 Onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- a pinch cooking soda
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- required salt
- a teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 500ml oil
- Slice the Onions horizontally to 1/4 inch thickness.Separate the rings keep it ready for dusting with cornflour.
- In a separate bowl mix the oregano, corn flour, all purpose flour with cooking soda (optional, this is added for crispness) and add a table spoon of heated oil, mix it well to make a smooth batter.
- Take a deep frying pan, add oil and heat it.Now dust the separated onion rings one by one in cornflour then dip in the batter and fry them golden brown.
- Remove them from pan and sprinkle the red chilies flakes for spicy flavour and serve them with sauce.
Rate my recipe
Health Benefits of Onions
1.Studies have shown onion may be of special benefit to women of menopausal age .Daily consumption supports the bone density and it can lower their risk of hip fracture.
2.It also lowers the risks of several types of cancers even if it is taken in a moderate amounts.(a medium sized bulb consumed 3 or 5 times a week).
3.It is proved evidently Onions can lower blood levels of cholesterol,and can also protect heart and blood vessels.
4..The Chromium present in the Onion helps to control blood glucose level.
5.Onions are highly anti-bacterial and anti-septic,which provides immunity to viral fevers and cold.
Other uses of Onion
- The pungent juice of onions is used as a good moth repellent.
- It can be used to prevent insect bite by rubbing on the skin.
- The paste of onion said to promote hair growth and application of this paste on face reduces freckling.
- The juice can be used to polish glass and in copper ware to prevent rust on iron.
- Improves pest resistance in plants.(the method is pour the boiling water on chopped onions and allow it to cool. Spray this water onto plants to improve their strength.)
- Planting onion bulbs near the plants keeps away the moles and insects.(This technique has worked out very well, to save my hibiscus plants from pest. The plant was almost at the stage of dyeing. All the leaves were withered and branches were drooping.Planting 3 small bulbs around the roots helped it, grow the leaves and it is flowering again.)
One more recipe to devour the onions-THE POPULAR ONION PAKODAS
Nutrition value of Onion
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Raw Onions contain no fats, it is rich in vitamins and nutrients.
Vitamin B6- 9.6
- It is Christopher Columbus brought Onions to West Indies from there it is spread to other parts of Europe.
- Onions native to Asia and Middle East and had been cultivated for over 5000 years.
- In Egypt Onions were used as currency to pay the workers who built the pyramids.
- Onions were used as medicine in India as a diuretic,it is also for digestion ,ailments of heart,eyes and joints.
- Onions were placed in the tombs of Egyptian kings so that they could carry these gifts bestowed spiritual significance with them afterlife.
- Two centuries before Onion and Garlic placed around the room to save people from black plague.
Do you Know?view quiz statistics
© 2013 cheeluarv