Spicy Rice Recipe
Rice dishes are popular all over the world as they are quick, versatile and filling, providing the base to a great meal, or even a tasty side dish. I almost accidentally created my Spicy Rice recipe while trying to make a kind of Prawn Fried Rice, but the results were tastier, lighter and healthier than I originally imagined.
This super easy recipe can be easily altered to cater for larger groups. Or, alternatively, just reduce the amount of rice to make a smaller batch. You can also replace the prawns with chicken, beef, smoked sausage or anything else you prefer, its such a customisable dish! Super tasty and super quick, anyone can make Spicy Rice!
**Please ensure to practice safe food handling and wash your hands regularly, particularly after handling the prawns.
- 250g King Prawns, Raw, peeled
- 4 cups white long grain rice
- 1 sachet Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli & Garlic sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Hot sweet chilli sauce
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- Level Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 4 Heaped Tablespoons Sweetcorn
- 1 Onion
- Boil the rice as per the packet instructions. Allow 1 cup of rice per person. *If making for more than 4 people, consider scaling up the ingredients, or at least use an extra sauce sachet.
- While the rice is boiling, chop the onion.
- Fry the onion in a little olive oil, along with the garlic and chilli powder. Throw in the sweetcorn- this can be frozen, canned, anything you like!
- Once the vege has softened, (and you have drained your rice and rinsed off the starch with boiling water) you should add the prawns.
- Don't be nervous about cooking the prawns, they are the easiest things in the world to cook- cooking by colours!!! They are grey when uncooked, and go pink when cooked! Just try not to overcook them- unlike meat, they will not tenderise with time, and will simply go rubbery.
- As the prawns cook, add the sauce, and stir.
- Once the mixture is piping hot, you should add the drained rice to the pot, and mix well, allowing the rice to soak up the sauce. Season and serve.