- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
American Southwest Bowl of Fire
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
Sometimes the idea of cooking a ham, roast, or turkey is just too complicated and time consuming. I personally love making interesting soups.
If you like sweet, and you like spicy; this may very well become one of your new comfort foods. Easy to prepare, and delicious, with a beautiful combination of flavors and colors, this recipe is easy to add variations to. One of my all time favorites, Enjoy!
Side Note: I like it a little hotter. By adding 1 more chili pepper and using red pepper instead of white pepper, it kicks things up to speed.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, I substitute extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 seeded red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, or black
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and chili pepper and cook, stirring for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add 4 cups water, the sweet potatoes, paprika, cumin, white pepper, and salt; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium-low heat until te potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade and puree until smooth, about 5 seconds. Return the soup to the pan and stir in the milk and cilantro. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Ladle the bisque into bowls and serve at once.