Spicy Tomato Pickle Recipe
Tomato is rich in Lycopene, a bright red carotene. It is rich source of antioxidant and used in many culinary dishes.
There are mainly five types of tomatoes:
Globe tomatoes: These are the most common tomatoes found in most stores and look round and ripe. Also known as tomatoes on the vine.
Cherry tomatoes: These are small tomatoes, similar to the shape of cherry but are more juicy and tastier then any other breed of tomatoes. Also know as baby tomatoes.
Beefsteak tomatoes: These are the largest tomatoes know so far, are irregular in shape and are particularly wider then being round.
Plum Tomatoes: These are elongated tomatoes and contain less seeds and thicker skin. Also known as Roma tomatoes.
Pear Tomatoes: These are unique and yellow colored tomatoes, pear shaped. Mostly consumed in European countries.
This tomato pickle recipe is based upon the Roma or Plum Tomatoes. They have less seeds and are less juicy as compared to other tomatoes, so idle for Pickle preparation.
Remember, Adding more Oil is the key as it serves as a preservative and the pickle stays fresh for a longer period of time.
Usually once cooked it can be kept refrigerated and consumed for a month.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 8 Tomatoes serves two for a week
- 8 Roma Tomatoes, Finely Chopped into small pieces
- 1 Spoon White Lentil / urad Dal
- 1 Spoon Split Chickpea or Chana Dal
- 2 and 1/2 Spoons Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Spoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Spoon Salt
- 16 Spoon Oil
- 1 Spoon Mustard Seeds
- Add oil in frying pan and let it heat
- Once hot, add mustard seeds and once they crackle. add White lentil and Split Chickpeas, allow them to fry for a minute
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir it well
- Slowly the Tomatoes will start leaving water, keep stirring from time to time and let it boil for about 15-20 minutes until all the water evaporates out.
- Once the water evaporates out and you can clearly see the Oil bubling out, add Chilli powder, turmeric and salt
- Mix it well and fry for another 5 minutes while continuosly stirring it
- Now your hot and spicy pickle is ready, allow it to cool down and store in a air tight container for future use.
|Serving size: 100g|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|