- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Spinach Mushroom Quiche Recipe
Vote for Spinach Mushroom Quiche!
Your nugget of nutritional Info for this post:
Eggs are more than they're cracked up to be! One of the most nutrient dense foods you can eat, the protein they provide is easy for your body to assimilate. Loaded with all eight of the essential amino acids, they also provide choline, vitamin D, folate, calcium, iron and selenium. Eggs-cellent!
All the Ingredients:
Recipe in Rebus:
- 1 pie shell, deep dish
- 2 cups ½ & ½
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, free range & cage free, if you can
- 10 oz spinach
- 8 oz bella mushrooms
- to taste nutmeg
If you're a mad pastry chef, please, by all means make your own pie crust! Unfortunately, the pie crusts I make are more weapons grade than flaky, so I "cheat" and use the frozen shells from the grocery. Marie Callendar's are a favorite...
How to Do it:
- Take a thawed pie shell, and thoroughly prick the uncooked dough, to minimize air pockets, wrap edges in foil cover, and cook for @7 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove & set aside.
- Slice Bella mushrooms.
- Saute mushrooms, and when cooked, tilt the pan to allow oils and liquid to drain, and blot off before removing mushrooms to sideboard.
- Steam spinach until wilted.
- Remove. Squeeze excess water from leaves, and place "wad" on linen cloth.
- Roll and wring out as much water as possible.
- Flatten and place between two paper towels, and set aside.
- grate your cheddar, and set aside.
- Time to prep the custard! For this, you'll need your eggs, ½ & ½, and nutmeg.
- Crack 2 whole eggs into mixing bowl--then add 2 yolks only to this mix.
- Add ½ & ½.
- Sprinkle nutmeg, and blend thoroughly.
- I always ferry the pie shell to the oven rack before i pour the custard, to minimize spillage of same!
- Cook ½ hour uncovered at 350F.
- Tent with foil, and cook an additional 15 minutes, or until custard is set through. (a toothpick test can tell you when!)