How to Make Easy and Tasty Chinese Veg Spring Rolls
A Healthy After-School Snack:
Spring roll is one of my favorite snacks. It is a super delicious and crunchy finger food loved by everyone. It is a vegan snack as well. Children munch spring rolls one after the other after coming back from school.
The ready-made spring roll sheets/wraps bought from the departmental store reduces cooking time. Also, it gives a finer look to the spring roll. However, I made the wrap at home. Join me in making this healthy recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour/all purpose flour, for the wrap
- 1/4 teaspoon oil, for the wrap
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, for the wrap
- required quantity warm water, for the wrap
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded lengthwise
- 1/2 cup french beans, slit and cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup capsicum, julienned
- 1/4 cup onion, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup green gram sprouts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, + oil for deep frying
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- salt, to taste
Instructions: Making the dough
- Take all-purpose flour, salt, and oil in a mixing bowl. Prepare a firm dough by adding warm water. Cover the dough and set aside.
Making the stuffing:
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in julienned onion. Saute till it is transparent. Add all other vegetables except capsicum. Stir fry in high fire for 4-5 minutes. No need to cover the pan. Add capsicum and salt. Mix well. Continue frying for a minute.
- Add pepper powder and soy sauce. Cook for one more minute. Put off the fire. Transfer the content to a bowl.This is the stuffing for the spring roll.
Making Spring Rolls:
- Pinch out a small lemon size dough. Knead it well. Make a thin square sheet with the help of a rolling pin. Alternatively, you can buy them from the departmental store.
- I made round sheet/wrap. You can cut the edges to get a square shape. The cut pieces can be included with the dough. Keep a tsp of the stuffing near one of the diagonal edges. Start folding it along with the stuffing, by folding the sides, as shown in the pic. Holding tightly, fold it till the end of the wrap.
- Prepare at least 12 such fillings. In one batch you can fry 5-6 such fillings.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Fry 5-6 wrapped spring rolls in oil. Fry till they turn golden color and crispy. It may take about 5 minutes for each batch frying. Remove on an absorbent paper towel.
- Serve hot Spring rolls with tomato sauce or red chili sauce or with schezwan sauce. Enjoy the taste!!
Other Variations of Making Spring Rolls:
You can use spring onion greens in place of regular onions.
Use herbs like ginger and garlic for enhancing the flavor. Saute them along with spring onion greens while making the filling.
Use 1/2 cup of boiled noodles or raw noodles along with the vegetables.
You can use one tbsp of finely chopped celery.
Baked Spring rolls:
You can even bake spring rolls. Pierce the spring rolls before baking, to avoid bursting while baking. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place a rack in the baking dish. Brush oil inside the dish. Apply oil on the covering of the spring rolls. Place spring rolls on the rack. Bake until crispy, about 15 minutes. Turn, bake the other side for 10 minutes. Remove and serve hot with tomato or with a Chinese sauce.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|