Steak Waldorf Salad
This is a very easy, nutritional, healthy starter or light lunch. It also tastes delicious!
- 2 fillet steaks, about 6oz each and 1inch thick
- olive oil or sunflower oil, for brushing
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 150ml/5 fl oz mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 500g/1 1b 2ozea eating apples
- 4 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 70g/2.5oz walnut halves, broken into pieces
- 100g/3.5oz salad leaves
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat a heavy based pan or griddle over a medium heat. Brush each steak with oil and season to taste with pepper. Add the steaks to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes for rare or 8-10 minutes for medium, turning the steaks frequently and brushing once or twice with oil. Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Meanwhile stir the mustard into the mayonnaise. Put the lemon juice into a large bowl. Peel and core the apples,then cut them into small chunks and immediately toss them in the lemon juice. Stir in the mustard mayonnaise. Add the celery and walnuts to the apple mixture and toss together.
- Arrange the salad leaves on 4 plates, then divide the apple mixture between them. Very thinly slice the steaks, arrange on top of the salad and serve immediately with crusty bread.