The strawberry really is an amazingly popular food and cooking ingredient. We use it in so many ways, such as:
Breakfast: yogurt, smoothies, pancakes, muffins, blintzes
- Lunch: On salads such as the berry spinach salad recipe you'll find below.
- Dinner: On grilled chicken breast as a spicy strawberry salsa, or perhaps on a delicious steak with a balsamic berry reduction.
- Desserts: ice cream, sauce, chocolate covered berries, cheesecake, shortcake, fruit salad.
- Snacks: popsicles, fruit chews
- Drinks: smoothies, daiquiris and margaritas, vodka, or refreshing Strawberry Lemonade.
One of my favorite ways to eat strawberries is in a salad, here's a great recipe for a Strawberry Spinach Salad.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup grilled chicken breast, sliced
- 1 cup of your favorite tomatoes, sliced or chopped
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl, drizzle with dressing, serve and Enjoy!
I love a frozen tropical drink with a little coconut rum, anytime, anyplace, not just when there are palm trees swaying. With an umbrella cocktail I'm always transported to the islands in my mind. Below you'll find an easy recipe for a tropical strawberry drink and a strawberry banana smoothie.
Easy Frozen Strawberry Daquiri Recipe
Here's an easy recipe, add to blender:
- 1 cup light rum
- 2 cups of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
Mix well. Pour into frozen drink glasses, garnish side of glass with a strawberry, top with a dollop of whipped cream and Enjoy!
Not everyone can eat strawberries. If you experience any of these allergy symptoms seek immediate medical attention:
- a tingling sensation in or around your mouth
- swelling of the lips, tongue, throat or mouth. This is a very serious allergy symptom and you should seek medical attention immediately.
- red itchy patches developing on your skin
- swelling of your hands, fingers, or face
- nausea, upset stomach, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea
- trouble breathing, tightening of your chest, dizziness, fainting, rapid pulse.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry
Recipe for Homemade Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 12 Red Ripe Strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 10 oz package Nestle's Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Microwave the chocolate chips and shortening in a medium sized microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute at 50% power. Stir. Keep microwaving and stirring at 15 second intervals until melted.
- Dip strawberries into melted chocolate and place on a dinner plate. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Easy Dessert Recipe Santa Hat Cheesecake Squares
This easy dessert is so festive and will have your guests saying “oh wow, these are so cute"! A perfect little bite for adults or kids, these Santa hats are sure to be a hit at your holiday party.
- No-Bake Cheesecake Dessert Mix by Jello
- Vanilla Frosting
- Prepare cheesecake dessert according to the directions on box.
- When ready, cut cheesecake into squares. Place a square on dessert plate.
- Top cheesecake with a strawberry.
- Apply frosting around rim of strawberry and a dot on top using a piping bag or a sandwich baggie. Serve and Enjoy!
- One cup of contains 43 calories.
- Berries freeze well. Wash, cut off the tops, place in plastic freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, freeze bags. Great for adding to smoothies!
- Strawberries are native to both the northern and southern hemispheres. They are grown in every state in the US.
- Many states have farms that offer the opportunity to pick-your own berries. Find a farm near you where you can pick your own by doing a google search.
- Unlike other fruit, un-ripe berries will not ripen once picked.
Chocolate fountains are a hit at any party. You can buy a small fountain online or at your local Walmart. Follow the directions for adding the chocolate and starting the fountain.
Prepare a tray of cut up strawberries, bananas, pound cake, pretzels, angel food cake and pineapples to set out alongside the fountain and your guests will have fun dipping and eating strawberries and other treats at the chocolate fountain!
Recipe for Yogurt Bites
8 strawberries cut in half
3 containers of strawberry yogurt
1 package of Jello Strawberry flavored gelatin (3oz package)
Cupcake pan & 16 paper liners
Mix the yogurt and Jello in a medium size microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, microwave 2 more minutes, stir, add another minute or so as needed, you want to be sure the gelatin is completely dissolved.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cupcake liners in cupcake pan.
Refrigerate for one hour or until firmly set.
Remove Yogurt Bites from liners, turn upside down and top with a half strawberry.
Cleaning, Storage, Freezing
Wash berries under cold water before cutting off the tops (hulling). A strawberry stem remover is a handy tool.
Store them, unwashed, in a container with a dry paper towel placed at the bottom. Cover loosely.
Strawberries freeze very well. Just wash, cut off the tops, dry, place in a plastic freezer bag, remove air, place in freezer.
Easy Recipe Angel Food Cake with Strawberries & Whipped Cream
- 1 container Cool Whip whipped topping
- 1 loaf Angel Food Cake or Make Your Own with an Angel Food cake mix box
- 4 cups sliced Fresh Strawberries
- 2 cups fresh Blueberries
Cut Angel Food cake into serving slices and place in individual dessert plates. Top each slice with whipped topping and berries. Enjoy!
Strawberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie
A smoothie is a great way start to the day, it's refreshing, healthy and provides a boost of energy.
I make my smoothies in my magic bullet, which is my favorite kitchen gadget ever, it's so much better than a juicer.
To your blender cup add
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 large ripe banana.
Blend & enjoy! if you use fresh strawberries you'll need to add a handful of ice cubes to the blender also before blending your smoothie.
Nutrition Information for 1 cup of Fresh Strawberries (not chocolate covered)
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How Often Do You Eat Strawberries?
© 2012 MomsTreasureChest