Strawberries Strawberries! Easy Strawberry Recipes
Is there a more versatile recipe ingredient than the Strawberry?
The strawberry really is an amazingly popular food and cooking ingredient. We use it in so many ways, such as:
Breakfast: yogurt, smoothies, pancakes, muffins, blintzes
- Lunch: On salads such as strawberry spinach salad, in sandwiches such as Rachel Ray's strawberry club sandwich
- Dinner: On grilled chicken breast as a spicy strawberry salsa, or as in this delicious recipe for Steak with Strawberries, Gorgonzola and a Strawberry Balsamic reduction
- Desserts: ice cream, strawberry sauce, chocolate covered strawberries, cheesecake, shortcake, strawberries and cream, fresh fruit with strawberries….and so many more.
- Snacks: popsicles, fruit chews, just plain strawberries.
- Drinks: smoothies, strawberry daiquiris and margaritas, strawberry vodka, or the refreshing Strawberry Lemonade made popular by the restaurant chain Ruby Tuesday.
- Our Music: The Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever!
The Fruit Truck
The Fruit Man
On a recent beach vacation as we sat by the pool each afternoon an old- fashioned truck would drive up, park in the middle of the street, and ring a cow bell to alert the guests from all the hotels on the block that the "fruit man" was here. Yes, every day all summer long, the fruit man drives the streets of this beach town offering fresh fruits and vegetables to hotel guests. It really is great, you can grab an afternoon snack for the beach or pool without having to drive to the supermarket, or you can purchase some fruit and veggies for the dinner you'll be cooking on the barbecue grills many of the hotels provide for guests!
Well, I couldn't resist and I purchased pints of strawberries from the fruit man to use in frozen strawberry daiquiri's we could enjoy by the pool! Yes, I brought my own blender from home since I know most hotels don't provide them in their kitchenettes. Mind you, I don't drink much, but I do love a frozen tropical drink with a little Malibu Coconut Rum, anytime, anyplace, not just when there are palm trees swaying. With a coconut rum cocktail I'm transported to the islands in my mind!
Margaritaville Frozen Drinks
Easy Frozen Strawberry Daquiri Recipe
Add 1 cup light rum, 2 cups of frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar and 3/4 cup of lime juice to blender, mix well. Pour into frozen drink glasses & enjoy! Garnish side of glass with a strawberry!
- Easy Pina Colada Recipe
Quick and Easy Frozen Pina Colada Recipe. Delicious tropical island drink made with just 3 ingredients!
Strawberry Allergy Symptoms
Not everyone can eat strawberries, so please be aware, If you experience any of these allergy symptoms when eating strawberries seek immediate medical attention!
- a tingling sensation in or around your mouth
- swelling of the lips, tongue, throat or mouth. This is a very serious allergy symptom and you should seek medical attention immediately.
- red itchy patches developing on your skin
- swelling of your hands, fingers, or face
- nausea, upset stomach, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea
- trouble breathing, tightening of your chest, dizziness, fainting, rapid pulse.
Pick Your Own Strawberries
Useful Strawberry Facts
- One cup of strawberries contains 43 calories.
- Berries freeze well. Wash berries, cut off the tops, place in plastic freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, freeze bags. Great for adding to smoothies!
- Strawberries are native to both the northern and southern hemispheres. They are grown in every state in the US.
- Many states have farms that offer the opportunity to pick-your own berries. Find a farm near you where you can pick your own strawberries.
- Unlike other fruit, un-ripe berries will not ripen once picked.
Send Chocolate Covered Strawberries instead of flowers! They make a great gift any time of year!
Recipe for Homemade Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 12 Red Ripe Strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 10 oz package Nestle's Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Microwave the chocolate chips and shortening in a medium sized microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute at 50% power. Stir. Keep microwaving and stirring at 15 second intervals until melted.
- Dip strawberries into melted chocolate and place on a dinner plate. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Easy Dessert Recipe Strawberry Santa Hat Cheesecake Squares
- Easy Dessert Recipe Strawberry Santa Hat Cheesecake Squares
You'll love this Easy Recipe for Strawberry Santa Hat Cheesecake Squares for your Christmas Party! You'll need a box of Jello No Bake Cheesecake Dessert...
Strawberries & Chocolate Fountains
Chocolate fountains are a hit at any party! You can buy a small fountain online and you can purchase the chocolate at your local supermarket. Prepare a tray of cut up strawberries, bananas, pound cake, pretzels, angel food cake and pineapples to set alongside the fountain and your guests will have a ball dipping and eating at the chocolate fountain!
Strawberry Stem Remover
Strawberry Cleaning, Storage, Freezing
Wash berries under cold water before cutting off the tops (hulling). A strawberry stem remover is a handy tool.
Store them, unwashed, in a container with a dry paper towel placed at the bottom. Cover loosely.
Strawberries freeze very well. Just wash, cut off the tops, dry, place in a plastic freezer bag, remove air, place in freezer.
Quick Recipe for Strawberry Yogurt Bites
8 strawberries cut in half
3 containers of strawberry yogurt
1 package of Jello Strawberry flavored gelatin (3oz package)
Cupcake pan & 16 paper liners
Mix the yogurt and Jello in a medium size microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, microwave 2 more minutes, stir, add another minute or so as needed, you want to be sure the gelatin is completely dissolved.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cupcake liners in cupcake pan.
Refrigerate for one hour or until firmly set.
Remove Strawberry Yogurt Bites from liners, turn upside down and top with a half strawberry.
Easy Recipe Angel Food Cake with Berries & Whipped Cream
1 container Cool Whip whipped topping
1 loaf Angel Food Cake or Make Your Own with a Duncan Hines Angel Food Cake Mix
4 cups sliced Fresh Strawberries
2 cups fresh Blueberries
Cut Angel Food cake into serving slices and place in individual dessert plates. Top each slice with whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries. Enjoy!
Strawberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie
A strawberry banana smoothie is a great start to the day, refreshing, healthy and provides a boost of energy. Whether you get your smoothie at McDonald's drive through on the go or make your smoothie at home, a strawberry banana smoothie is delicious!
I make my smoothies in my Magic Bullet Nutri-Bullet, which I love, love love! This is my most favorite kitchen gadget ever!!! After I bought my Nutri-Bullet and loved it sooo much I've spread the love and given them as gifts to my sister, daughter, parents and in-laws! It's so much better than a juicer!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe:
To your blender cup add 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 large ripe banana. Blend & enjoy! if you use fresh strawberries you'll need to add a handful of ice cubes to the blender also before blending your smoothie.
Nutrition Information for 1 cup of Fresh Strawberries (not chocolate covered)
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|