- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Strawberry Trifle: A Healthy Treat
Prep Time Note
While the prep time is long, most of it is in the cooling of the cake.
What is Trifle?
Trifle is a dessert that involves cake, fruit, cream and other stuff. The traditional trifle of England actual contains gelatin as well as the other stuff listed, but that was something more recently added to this ancient treat. This recipe resembles more closely its ancestor even though there are a few substitutions that we would not have seen in days of yore. Still, this treat is something I grew up with. There are many ways you can modify it to suite your specific needs but the truth of the matter is it is 100% delicious!
- 1 1/3 cups Soft White Wheat Flour, (whole wheat suggested)
- 1 cup Hard Red Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt, (Kosher or sea salt highly suggested)
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Nectar Sugar, (or other solid sugar or substitute)
- 3 medium to large Eggs, (the whole egg is suggested but not required)
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla extract, (not imitation)
- 1/2 cup Butter, Softened or party melted
- 1 1/4 cups Milk, (skim or 1% suggested)
- 2 lbs Fresh Strawberries
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar or Honey
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
Coring Strawberries: A Fun Way to Do It
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Decrease heat by 25 degrees with convection ovens.
- Combine the wheat flours, salt, baking powder, coconut sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together.
- Add eggs, butter, and vanilla extract into the dry mix until fully integrate into a thick dough.
- Gradually add milk into the dough until it is a thick batter. Do not mix all at once as the milk will splatter everywhere.
- Oil a 9"x5" (or equivalent) cake pan and then flour it. This will make the cake come out more easily.
- Put cake batter into the floured cake pan. Level with baking spatula and place in oven when fully heated.
- Wash, core, and slice the strawberries. Store in refrigerator.
- Place cream in a clean glass or metal bowl (not plastic as oils on the plastic surface will prevent the cream from whipping properly.
- Add a tablespoon of agave or honey. Whip the cream until peaks form. Store in refrigerator.
- Remove cake from oven and cut into small squares. Place cake in a bowl or sheet and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Once the cake is cool, layer it, then strawberries, then cream in a bowl. Repeat until out of ingredients. (For best visual effect, use a glass bowl if available.)
- Scoop and serve. You can refrigerate for a long as a couple days without issue. Cover if storing.
|Serving size: 2 cups|
|Calories from Fat||126|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 14 g||22%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 7 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 15 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 182 mg||61%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Modifications of the Recipe
This particular recipe is an adaptation of a classic white cake recipe I learned from my mom. I have changed some ingredients to make it better for you, but if you just want good old classic white cake, just use white flour and regular granulated sugar in place of the substitutes I put in the ingredients.
If wheat flour is out due to gluten allergies, just add the appropriate flour substitution. This recipe is designed to be enjoyable for anyone, so please try it out this way before trying it with less healthy substitutions.
You can also chill a can of coconut milk overnight and use the cream within as a substitute for the whipping cream if you want to lower the calories and cut the total fat.
You are also welcome to add other fruits. I suggest a common theme like berries. Try to match fruits with complementing textures to keep the dessert's feel on the tongue consistent.
- How to Make Vanilla Extract
How to make quality vanilla extract from scratch including picture instructions. Also includes facts about types of beans.
Get Paid to Write
Share your opinion and expertise and make residual income at the same time by signing up for Hubpages.