Artichokes Stuffed-A Delicious Appetizer
This has become a favorite appetizer for our family and friends. We bring it to The Wisconsin Dells where five or more families gather every summer for three days. We have potluck meals like you have never seen or tasted!
Allergic to Shellfish?
Replace the Shrimp with two 6 ounce packages of Imitation Crab Sticks cut into small pieces.
- 6 large Artichokes
- 1 lb. bag of frozen, pre-cooked large Shrimp chopped
- 1 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 10 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- 1 lb. Butter
- 4 Lemons Cut 3 in half and slice the 4th
5-8 oz. Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Steam the Artichokes
- use a large vegetable steamer
- or steam them 2 or 3 at a time in the top of a double boiler, covered.
Prepare the Artichokes
- Flatten the bottom of each Artichoke by cutting off the stem
- Trim the points off the leaves
- Remove the soft, purple tipped leaves in the middle
- Dig down to the bottom and spoon out the entire choke
- Using a lemon half, squeeze juice on the inside of the Artichokes, then generously rub the lemon on the outer leaves
- Sprinkle the inside of the Artichokes with Garlic Powder and a little Black Pepper
- Put a slice of Lemon on the top of each Artichoke
- Steam Artichokes about 40-45 minutes until an outer leaf can easily be pulled out.
- When done, remove lemon slices and put the Artichokes up-side-down on paper towels to drain and cool.
Prepare the Stuffing
In a large bowl combine
- Parmesan Cheese
- Bread crumbs
- Stir together until well mixed
Stuff the Artichokes and Bake
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter
- Starting at the bottom of the Artichoke and working your way up, spoon the stuffing between the leaves
- Place the Artichokes in a 13X9 baking pan. It will be a tight fit!
- Drizzle melted butter and squeeze lemon juice over each Artichoke
- Cover loosely with foil
- Drizzle with melted butter or generously baste each Artichoke with butter drippings in the pan and squeeze lemon juice on each artichoke every 10 minutes while baking.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Pre Bake! They Travel Well!
I premade the Stuffed Artichokes at home, put them in a cooler and brought them along to The Dells! I heated them up on the grill about 30 minutes before they were to be served. Judging by the fact there weren't any leftovers I have to say they were delicious and enjoyed by all!