Stuffed Cabbage From the Old Country
Please rate this recipe.Thank you.
Garden Fresh Cabbages
Secret Chicken Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
Grandma's Secret Chicken Stuffed Cabbage from the Old Country
This recipe came from a good friend's grandma
who came from the old country back in 1952.
Garden fresh cabbages is the best way to start if you would like to follow the instructions in making some of the best stuffed cabbage from the old country. Grandma's stuffed cabbage was a family secret up until about 2 years ago when Grandma passed away. Every family member got to keep a complete photocopy of every single recipe Grandma kept in her recipe book.
This is one of them.
Perfect Side Dish that goes with Grandma's Chicken Stuffed Cabbage
The first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the most perfect side dish to go with Grandma's secret chicken stuffed cabbage from the old country is Chicken Mashed Potatoes. If you would like to know how to make that awesome recipe, click here.
All side dishes can compliment a main dish, but it takes a perfect side dish to stand out and still not take the attention away from the main dish. That's when my famous Chicken Mashed Potatoes comes in.
**Don't Forget To Check Back for Grandma's Secret Red Sauce**
Chicken Mashed Potatoes
Best Quality Chicken
In my honest opinion, the neighborhood deli is under rated. If you want the best meats - get it from the deli.
To get the best chicken for Chicken Stuffed Cabbage, get the already cooked rotisserie chicken (if available). If not, check to see if your local supermarket sells cooked chicken dinners.
Secret Ingredients to the Secret Chicken Stuffed Cabbage
- 5 pound head of fresh green cabbage
- 1/2 pound of a fully cooked chicken, ground or shredded
- 2 TableSpoons of low-fat cooking oil
- 3 cups of fully cooked white rice, packed
- 2-3 cups of Grandma's red sauce or your own marinara sauce
- 1 cup of onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 TableSpoons of water, (add slowly, one at a time)
- 2 TableSpoons garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
Instructions for making Secret Chicken Stuffed Cabbage
- Place a large head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes, take out and leave in strainer over sink. Let cool.
- When it's completely cool, cut the center core out of cabbage and remove the leaves. Set these items to the side.
- In a cast iron skillet, add oil ground/shredded chicken,onion,garlic,pepper & salt over medium heat. Cook until everything is tender.
- Add cooked rice and water and set these to the side also.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a clean surface, place cabbage leaf down and fill 2 TableSpoons of the chicken/rice mixuture in center of leaf.
- Fold first the bottom of leaf up and then fold the sides in. You can then roll the cabbage forward making sure the chicken/rice mixture stays inside the cabbage leaf.
- Place Chicken Stuffed Cabbages in a preferred baking dish/pan and cover with a red sauce. Cover cabbages with foil or lid and bake for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve with Chicken Mashed Potatoes and sour cream.