- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe
The thought of having Meatloaf for dinner never thrilled my kids. In fact when I was growing up and my Mom would make Meatloaf my sisters and I would be pretty disappointed as well. It was just boring. Well, Meatloaf isn't boring anymore! It can actually be delicious when you get a little inventive and add a few tasty, even healthy ingredients. Here is a recipe that will dress up your Meatloaf and make it enticing.
Ingredients for the Meatloaf
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 slices of bread, cubed or 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- Garlic Powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Catsup
Ingredients for the Stuffing
- 3 green onions and stems sliced
- 4 mushrooms (I use Baby Bella) sliced and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup spinach leaves, torn
- 4 pieces of string cheese
Make the Meatloaf
- Brown the ground beef and Italian sausage, drain.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except for the catsup.
- Shape 1/2 of the mixture into a loaf
- Place in an ungreased 8X8 baking dish.
Make the Stuffing and Add it to the Meatloaf
- Sauté green onions, mushrooms and spinach leaves in olive oil
- Pull apart 2 pieces of string cheese and place on top of the shaped loaf in the baking dish
- Spread the sauteed vegetables on top of the string cheese
- Pull apart the remaining 2 pieces of string cheese and place on top of the vegetables
Put the Meatloaf Together and Bake It
- Shape the remaining half of the meat loaf mixture and place on top of the string cheese
- Press the edges of the Meatloaf lightly together
- Spoon catsup over the top of the Meatloaf
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the meatloaf is no longer pink inside.
I served this with baked sweet potatoes with a dollop of butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.