- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
Tomatoes are not only healthy, they also look very good on the table. Here is a traditional stuffed tomatoes recipe. It is shockingly good when you use local tomatoes. Plus it's also quick and easy to make. And it adds nice touch to the table.
- 4 fresh tomatoes, ripe but not mushy
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large scallion, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon chives, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, (or 4 freshly harvested cloves), minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup local cheese, grated or crumbled (Monterey Jack, cheddar, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Cut the tomatoes in half through their circumference. Using a spoon, remove and discard most of the seeds from each tomato.
- Scoop out and discard about half of each tomato's pulp, then chop and set aside on a plate.
- Sprinkle the tomato cavities with about half the salt, then invert on a rack to drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, basil, olive oil, scallions or chives, garlic, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Tip the plate with chopped tomatoes, and spoon off most of their liquid.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the mixture.
- Divide equally among the tomato cavities. Sprinkle each with some of the cheese.
- Place the tomatoes in a baking dish. Bake until tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes.