Stuffed Zucchini with Mozzarella Cheese
Lots of Zucchini
Zucchini plants are one of those vegetable plants that are so easy to grow. It's such a delight when you see those large yellow blooms ( which are great to eat also) start to open.
There are so many zucchini recipes, I can't even begin to tell you. This stuffed zucchini recipe is just one of them. Zucchini is one of those versatile vegetables that can be made in a savory dish or even a sweet dish, which I will show you in other hubs. I even have a recipe for zucchini cobbler which if I didn't tell you it was zucchini, you would think it was apple cobbler. Not to mention, zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, zucchini patties and casserole, etc. Get the picture?? lol
It may sound like it takes a lot of time to make stuffed zucchini but it doesn't. I made this after I came home from church on Sunday afternoon and my husband and I were eating dinner by 12:30pm; along with my meat dish. My husband and I finished off one whole zucchini.
You can add other ingredients too. I even heard one of my friends say she added ground sausage to it. I supposed that would make a whole complete meal. But, give it a try and make it your own. This is my Italian version. 'Mangiare Buono!'
Photos of Stuffed Zucchini
There are always options for just about any recipe and this one is no exception.
If you like a different cheese on top, then feel free to use it.
If you have on hand something like store bought stuffing mix then use that in place of the bread crumbs and parsley and basil.
You can also add a different grating cheese if you have it inside.
You can make it your way.
Disposable Roasting pan
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 tablespoons Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To taste garlic powder
- Approx. 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese, You can use as much as you like.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Cut the ends off of the zucchini and cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the inside of the zucchini leaving a very thin lining to hold the stuffing. Chop the inside meat of the zucchini in small pieces.
- In a large bowl mix together the chopped zucchini, the onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, egg, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add it to the zucchini boats, pushing it in to stay in tact. Sprinkle a little more olive oil on top of the stuffing. Top with grated mozzarella cheese; as much as you like. Pour a cup of water around the filled zucchini boats.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and a little golden and the inside is cooked. Cut in chunks after it's cooled a little. Enjoy!
- See Options!