Sugar Cookies in 15 Minutes
Fast and Frugal and Probably in your Pantry Right Now
Who doesn't love fresh baked cookies? But for most recipes it required a trip to the store for something: chocolate chips, nuts, candy bits, etc. I can almost guarantee you have all of these ingredients in your pantry right now. Not only that, but whipping up a batch of these sugar cookies will end up only costing you 50 to 60 cents.
It takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish to get these cookies on a plate and ready for the hungry masses. Great for so many occasions, such as when the kids get home from school with a good report or company drops by unexpectedly, why not make a batch today?
- 1/2 cup soft margarine or shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl cream together the margarine or shortening and sugar. Beat it until it is smooth and fluffy.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla, mixing well.
- Stir in the salt, baking powder and flour. Blend it all up until it makes a nice smooth dough.
- Drop the mixture by small spoonfuls onto an oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips and Tweaks
I prefer to use shortening in my cookies. I think it makes for a chewier cookie, as butter makes them crisper. I also leave out the almond flavoring, just not my family's thing.
I love my Silpat Baking Liners. Cookies never stick and brown so nicely on them. I also used a Tablespoon sized scoop to make all my cookies the same. With that, one batch made 2 1/2 dozens of cookies.
You can "fancy" these sugar cookies up in quite a few ways. You could add food coloring to the batter. Rolling them in plain or colored sugars before baking give them a pretty appearance. Any type of sprinkle for any occasion can be put on top before baking to personalize them.
Thanks for checking out my HubPage and take a peak at my other cooking and family pages!