Sugarless Dessert Bars Sweetened with Dried Fruits
If you are looking for a recipe that is sugarless - meaning no added sugars or artificially sweetened - try this recipe. It is sweetened naturally with dried fruits, like raisins, dates, and dried prunes. If desired, for a different taste use other dried fruits, like those in the photo: dried apricots, dried cranberries, or dried blueberries.
Sugarless Dried Fruit Dessert Bars
- 1/2 chopped dates
- 1/2 cup dried raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried prunes (dried plums)
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick of butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place the dates, raisins, and prunes in a small saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil, and simmer slowly for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add in the stick of butter or margarine, and stir to melt. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla, flour, baking soda, and salt together. Add in the the dried fruit mixture.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased and floured baking pan, and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the center tests done and the top is lightly browned.
- Let cool, and cut into bars before serving.