- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Salad Recipes
Summer Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe
Here’s a great summer salad recipe for all the lovely cherry tomatoes that are soon to appear in fresh markets, or better yet, if you’ve been energetic - in back yard gardens!
This is not really a salad to be made with anything other than ripe seasonal tomatoes –it’s just not the same made with tomatoes grown elsewhere, picked under-ripe and trucked long miles to your supermarket – you need to taste that local sunshine!
The key to this salad is, unfortunately, patience. This tastes much much better if you have the foresight and discipline to wait at least an hour before eating.
Summer Cherry Tomato Salad
- 1 lb of ripe cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to tastes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbls of red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and a little salt and fresh pepper into an emulsified vinaigrette.
- Put the tomatoes, onions and basil in a bowl and pour the dressing over to coat. Transfer to the fridge to marinate for at least an hour or for as many as a few hours.
- Once ready to eat (chilled and marinated) taste for seasoning and add as much salt and freshly cracked pepper as is needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl (if desired) and sprinkle a little more chopped fgresh basil on top for garnish.
A great taste of summer!
This can be made into a heartier – whole meal – kind of salad by adding cubes of fresh mozzarella or crumbled feta cheese to the salad at serving time.
You can, of course, make this salad with tomatoes other than cherry tomatoes, so long as you cut larger tomatoes into buts sized pieces first.
Another Tomato Salad Idea
More Great Salads
- Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe - A Very Easy and Tasty Fir...
A pasta salad with an easy basil sauce - great for entertaining
- Roasted Pear and Parmesan Salad Recipe - Unripe Pear...
What to do with hard, unripened pears? This roasted pear salad with almonds and parmesan is a 10 minute full meal salad that is actually better with unripened pears!
- Spicy Thai beef salad...perfect quick summer eating
When the weather gets hot, there's nothing better than quick and easy cooking, with enough spice to get the blood flowing and the sweat pouring; and when the mercury climbs, look east to the foods of...
- Thai spicy papaya salad. Somtam is the perfect salad...
If there had to be one national dish of Thailand, this spicy papaya salad would certainly be in contention. You see somtam stands at every market, in front of convenience stores, on the back of pick up...