- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Summer delight: Rabri Faluda
Rabri faluda is an Indian dessert which is widely popular and is hard to resist on a hot sultry day. It is a sweet, rich dessert consisting of vermicelli noodles (faluda) and a thick traditional sweet syrup called rabri, made of boiled milk, cream, sugar, nuts, and cardamom. The rabri is scooped on top of a glass of faluda, then topped with crushed ice, drizzled with rose syrup/khus syrup/kewda, garnished with nuts & dry fruits. and mixed well.
- 1 litre Milk
- A pinch Cardamon/Eliachi seeds powder
- 1 ½ cup Sugar
- 2 Bread slices (wheat)
- 1/2 cup Condensed milk
- Faluda / Vermicelli Noodles
- 1/2 cup Almonds and Pistachios
- A few safforn strands
- Kewra liquid
- Crushed ice
- Heat 1 cup of Vermicelli Noodles or faluda in microwave with ¼ cup of water with 2 tsp. sugar and 1 tsp. kewra liquid. When Noodles soften,cool it down and refrigerate it till Rabri is ready.
- Take two bread slices and discard crusts.Grind the slices in food processor and prepare fresh bread crumbs.
- Now take 1 litre milk in a pan and bring it to a boil by simmering on low flame.
- Add the fresh bread crumbs, condensed milk and sugar to the milk.
- Simmer the mixture on a medium flame and keep stirring continuously for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the fire.
- Add safforn and cardamon powder to the mixture and mix well.
- Now keep this mixture in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Rabri is ready to serve along with the faluda.
- Fill the 1/4th of serving bowl or glass with faluda. Put the rabri on top of it and some crushed ice.
- Garnish with few saffron strands and kewra drops, chopped Almonds. You can also use rose syrup or khus syrup instead of kewra and saffron.
- Rabri faluda is ready to be served and relished.
If you happen to visit Old Delhi, then don't miss to try rabri faluda at Giani di Hatti near Faterhpuri Masjid. Glasses of rabri faluda are served throughout the day to the customers lined up at this famous shop. Ice is made of filtered water and proper hygiene is maintained.