- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pork Recipes
Roasted Pork Loin Dinner
Sunday dinner at my house has always been a favorite time of mine. I've tried to carry on a tradition that my husband and I had growing up. The tradition being that all family members are present, sitting down at the dining room table, and having a full course meal together. It's a much needed time to connect with each other and discuss what's going on in everyone's life. When my sons were younger we sat down for dinner daily, but now that they're grown and have busy lives, Sundays seem to be the best day of the week to visit and get together as a family.
Sunday Dinners Are Special
There are various meals that I make for a Sunday dinner, but for the most part I like to cook a roast or a turkey. Many times I will cook an over sized roast so that we will have leftovers for lunches, or for another meal during the week.
Need a few Side Ideas?
Pork Roast has always been one of our favorite Sunday meals. This is a very easy meal to prepare and it can all be cooked in one roasting pan.
- Steamed vegetables.
- Garden, Caesar, or a Spring-mix Salad.
- Serve your favorite soup before or during the main course.
- Homemade or store bought applesauce is a nice accompaniment.
- Put out a tray of your favorite pickles along with perhaps some beets.
- If you prefer you can make mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower, rather than adding the potatoes to the roasting pan.
- Fresh dinner rolls or homemade bread.
Ingredients You Will Need
Ingredients for Roasted Pork Loin Dinner
This served 4 people and we had 1/2 of the roast left over for the week.
1- 6 pound Pork loin roast
4 - 5 large carrots
6 - 7 medium potatoes
4 garlic cloves
Fresh ground pepper
Let's Get Cooking
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Peel carrots and place in the bottom of the roasting pan. This will make clean up easier and will also act as a rack to keep the roast off the bottom of the pan.
- Wash potatoes and cut in half. I don't normally peel the potatoes as there are many nutrients in the peel. I find that leaving the peel on to roast them keeps them from getting stuck onto the pan.
- Remove roast from packaging and rinse under cold water. Pat dry.
- Peel and slice garlic cloves. With a sharp knife put slits into the roast and insert the garlic slices.
- Score the fatty side of the roast as shown in the picture.
- Grind pepper on top of the roast.
- Place roast into the roasting pan on top of the carrots. Add fresh ground pepper.
- Add about 2 cups of cold water to the bottom of the roasting pan, then position the potatoes around the roast.
Into The Oven
- Place the roasting pan into the oven and cook for one hour. After an hour baste the potatoes and exposed carrots with the juice that's in the bottom of the pan. Check and make sure to see if more water is needed. If so add it now.
- Continue to cook for approximately another 45 minutes to an hour or until internal meat has reached 160°.
- Remove from oven, place roast onto a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Apple sauce is a favorite of mine to go along with the pork roast. You can either purchase a jar of apple sauce or make your own.
Recipe For Apple Sauce
4 large apples peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar
1 cup of water
1/3rd of a cinnamon stick
Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and mash. This can be served hot or cold.
A Great Beef Recipe
Here is a delicious recipe for a round outside beef or bottom bottom round roast recipe. Cooked really slow in a tomato based sauce that makes the meat moist, juicy and tender.
Do you sit down as a family at least once a week for dinner?
© 2012 Susan Zutautas