Did you try it? Let us know how you liked it!
This is a wonderful dish for a light lunch or dinner, use items from leftovers or the pantry to make a tasty one-dish meal! It has a light citrus flavor with just a bit of heat, not too spicy-- but top it off with some hot sauce for a zing. It's also great as a side for chicken or fish; just omit the ham!
- 1 c. cooked rice, (Leftover fragrant rice work best. I use Basmati)
- ½ c. cubed cooked ham
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter
- Aprox. ½ c. of water
- 3-4 sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of fresh or 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- Pinch of cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat butter in medium sized skillet on med-low.
- Add ham and sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Add enough water to cover bottom of pan, let cook another 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and spices, stir up mixture, cook another 2-3 minutes (add remaining water if rice starts to dry).
- Stir in green onions and reduce heat to low, let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve alone or with a poached egg on top; enjoy!