- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Super Easy Dinner Idea: Million Calorie Casserole with Tater Tots and Bacon
We don't do casseroles often. If you ever see us eating a casserole for dinner, it means that I am feeling really lazy and/or need to go to the store soon. My kids jokingly call this dish "Million Calorie Casserole", but I also refer to it as "Mom Needs to Go Grocery Shopping So She's Using Up All the Random Stuff in the Fridge Casserole".
Tater tots are one of those random foods that seem to magically appear in my freezer. I swear that I never actually buy any at the store, but for some reason, I always find like 3 giant bags of them when it's almost time to go shopping. I don't really like tater tots, but they taste amazing in this casserole. Or any casserole, for that matter.
Right now, you're probably wondering why the heck my family named this dish "Million Calorie Casserole". Just kidding...it's obvious that this isn't exactly a healthy dinner. I mean, have you seen the pics below? This casserole is packed with gooey, cheesy, bacon-y, goodness. Your arteries will hate you, and your blood pressure will be sky high. Your tastebuds will be incredibly thankful, though.
This is a dish that is easy to customize. I have found that diced jalapenos and onions go really well, and sometimes we throw in some cilantro. I grow my own on a little shelf in the kitchen, so now I feel like it belongs in every other dish that I prepare. You can also add mushrooms, tomatoes, or other types of cheese. You really can't screw this recipe up.
Ready to stuff your face with some delicious tater tot and bacon casserole? The recipe is below.
- Half bag frozen tater tots
- 1 package bacon
- 9 large eggs
- 1 block grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 container sour cream
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon. I like to do this in the oven at 400 degrees for about 14 minutes, but you can also microwave it or pan fry it. Set aside.
- Combine the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper in a large bowl as the bacon cooks. Beat the eggs in gently, as if you are preparing scrambled eggs for dinner.
- Add in some of the shredded cheese, plus any other ingredients that you wish to use (onions, peppers, etc.). Stir well.
- Lay strips of bacon flat on the bottom of an ungreased casserole dish. I will try to get some pictures up next time I do this, but until then, just pretend that you're making lasagna. Use bacon instead of pasta.
- Arrange a layer of frozen tater tots on top of the bacon. Dump half of the egg and milk mixture on top of the tots.
- Place another layer of tater tots on top of the first layer. Top with the remaining egg and milk mixture.
- Cover the top with a generous amount of grated cheese and bacon bits.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes.