Super Healthy Paleo Chocolate Cake
Delicious and Healthy
I have just made the most delicious healthy chocolate cake. This cake is gluten free, dairy free, suitable for a Paleo diet and even has hidden veggies! It is made with honey instead of sugar and olive oil instead of butter or margarine. Instead of normal unhealthy processed white flour it uses coconut flour. I have made a similar cake before using sugar and white flour and I can honestly say this version is moister and tastier- this does not usually happen when I experiment with healthy versions of stuff so I am very impressed.
Using this recipe you could make one big cake or two smaller cakes. I made it with two smaller cakes and filled the middle with whipped coconut cream and strawberries and blackberries. On top I simply melted some dark chocolate in a pan and poured it on top. However- if you want something quick and easy this works fine as a simple cake and is certainly tasty enough to stand alone.
Ingredients for the Cake
- 2 cups/600g Beetroot, cooked
- 1/2 cup/ 50g Coconut Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup/ 120 ml Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Raw Honey
- 1/4 cup/ 50g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
More Healthy Recipes
- Strawberries and Cream Popsicles - Baby Led Weaning Equipment
Dairy Free and No Added Sugar Popsicles
- Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Low Fat Flapjack Truffles
Why not try these super easy, super healthy Flapjack Truffles? They are the perfect treat for hungry tots or health conscious grown-ups! The added bonus is they are virtually free of fat and most common allergens plus they have no added sugar.
Ingredients for the Filling
For the Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of xylitol *
* Note if you prefer you can use agave nectar or maple syrup but do not use honey as the digestive enzymes will break down your cream
- Handful of strawberries- quartered
- Handful of blackberries
Ingredients for the Topping
- 75g 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate
- Make the cakes first.
- Blend your cooked beetroot in a food processor. You can bake your beetroots yourself or buy them already cooked from the shops- don't use pickled beetroot though, that won't be nice!
- Add the olive oil and eggs and blend this should turn the mixture a bright pink colour.
- Add the honey and blend again until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the salt, baking powder and honey and blend again until all ingredients are combined. .
- In a bowl mix the coconut flour and cocoa together.
- Create a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the beetroot mix
- Stir well until all the mixture is combined together.
- Pour into a lined or greased baking tin- two if you are making two and bake in an oven at 180 C for 35 minutes.
- While the cakes are baking make your whipped cream.
- Open your can of coconut milk and separate the thick cream from the watery milk.
- Pour the thick cream in a bowl and stir in vanilla extract and xyltiol.
- Whisk for 5-10 minutes- You can use an electric whisk for ease and time but by hand works just as well
- Once the cream is whipped you can keep it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the cake
- When you are ready to assemble the cake melt your chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan.
Assembling the Cake
1- Put the whipped cream on top of the first cake
2- Arrange your strawberries and blackberries on top of the cream
3- Place the second cake on top
4- Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the second cake, allowing bits to drip down the side for effect
That's it. This is a truly yummy cake that all the family can enjoy. It is special enough to make as a birthday cake too. Hope you enjoy!
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Sodium 29 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|