Super Simple Quiche Recipe
Rate it !
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 10 min
- Yields: Serves 6 for lunch or dinner
Leek and bacon quiche
This is a great recipe for a quiche that you can either enjoy fresh from the oven, or bake ahead of time and serve cold with a crisp summer salad.
You can try adding different ingredients if you's like to mix it up a bit.
Also, if you want a quicker quiche, you can use store bought pastry.
Other things you will need
~ Mixing bowl (preferably glass)
~ Cling wrap
~ Quiche dish (or pie dish, glass or ceramic)
~ Frying pan and baking tray
~ Rolling pin
~ Grease-proof paper (parchment)
~ Uncooked rice, or uncooked beans/peas or other pastry weights
- 2 cups plain flour, (all purpose flour is OK)
- 150g butter, chilled
- 1 egg yolk, (separated)
- 2 leeks, medium sized
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup, milk
- 2 tablespoons water, chilled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the pastry. Measure the flour and a pinch of salt into a medium mixing bowl (glass works well because it stays cold).
- Cut the butter into small cubes about half an inch across using a sharp knife, and add the pieces to the flour.
- Run your hands under cold water for a few seconds and dry them thoroughly. Rub the flour and butter between the tips of your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. (make sure there are no lumps of butter remaining as they will make your pastry soggy).
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture. Drop the separated egg yolk into it, together with the 2 tablespoons of chilled water. Mix with a blunt knife until the ingredients come together
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour and place the pastry onto it. Work the pastry with your hands until it is just smooth. Press the pastry into a disc shape, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (or 160oC if fan assisted)
- Trim and wash the leeks. Cut them in half lengthwise and then into thin slices. Cut the bacon into bite sized pieces using scissors or a sharp knife.
- Drop a tablespoon of cooking oil into a flying pan and apply the heat. When the oil is hot add the leeks and the bacon. Cook until the leeks are soft. Leave to cool.
- Grease a glass or ceramic quiche dish (or pie dish). Place the dish on a baking tray.
- Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of grease-proof paper (parchment) until the circle is an inch to 2 inches bigger than your dish (depends on the depth).
- Transfer the pastry to your dish, making sure that it is pressed into all the edges. Trim off the excess pastry with a sharp knife.
- Line the pastry with grease-proof paper and fill with uncooked rice, dried beans/peas or ceramic pie weights. Bake for 10 mins. Remove the weights and paper and cook for further 10 mins until the pastry begins to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Transfer the leek and bacon mixture into the pastry case and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Whisk the eggs together with the milk and season with salt and pepper. Pour this over the mixture in the pastry case.
- Bake for 30 mins until the mixture is set and the top of the quiche is golden brown.
- Serve either hot or cold with vegetables or salad of your choice.
- For perfect pastry keep the ingredients as cold as possible and don't overwork it.
- Ensure that there are no holes in your pastry case or the egg mixture will seep underneath before it sets.
- Remember to cool the fried ingredients and the pastry case for best results.