Sweet and savory apple tortilla crisps with Ice cream
Rate my Recipe
A divine desert, you will beg for more
So delicious, this desert will blow your mind
I actually saw a photo of fried flour tortillas shaped like a taco, then stuffed with apples. I could never find the actual recipe so I made up my own, much to my delight and that of my guests that day. It is definitely a favorite now.
I know tumeric sounds like a weird ingredient for desert. We happen to grown our own and just had harvested a lot...it's one of the best immune system spices around.
Cinnamon and ginger are also great for your health!!
I actually didn't fill the layers until it was at the table with the guests...so that the filling and Ice cream would not make the fried tortillas soggy. Plus it was exciting for them to watch and the anticipation made the desert all the more thrilling for them.
Fried Tortillas and filling
Layer the fruit filling on the fried flour tortillas
- 1 cup or 2 small apples, chopped
- 2 cups plantains or saba bananas, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. Dried or fresh ginger, grated finely
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tsp fresh or dried tumeric root, grated if fresh
- 1 tablespoon powdered cinnamon
- short dusting allspice
- short dusting dried powdered cloves
- short dusting nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp powdered coriander
- 4 medium flour tortillas, deep fried till crispy
- Vanilla Ice Cream, for Topping
When done use a knife to cut through the layers
You won't believe how easy this is
- Chop apples, any kind, I would have liked granny smith, but all I had was Fuji apples, if you don't have or like plantain bananas, this recipe would be delicious using just apples.
- Cut the plantains or saba bananas as they are called here in the Philippines, into small cubes. I used about 6 small saba bananas..if using Mexican plantains, two to three large will do.
- Zest the orange, put aside, the juice the orange as set aside.
- Grate the fresh ginger or tumeric finely. Add butter to the pan and lightly toast the spices, then toss in the orange zest with the orange juice and the fruits. Sautè until soft. Add more water to the pan if the fruit mixture gets too dry.
- Melt the butter in pan, add the fresh ginger and tumeric, if powdered...add all the spices listed into simmering butter, don't burn them, just toast them lightly to release the aromatic oils. Add the orange juice, zest and chopped apples..saute until the apples are soft, add the plaintains, cook till soft. If the mix gets too dry...add a little water. You want there to be some sauce around the fruits but not runny or watery enough to make the friend tortillas soggy.
- Now in a separate pan quickly fry each side of the tortillas until crispy, there will be some bubbles, that is ok. Dust each tortilla while still hot with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Set Aside.
- Put a little of the fruits in sauce on each layer of tortilla until third layer...top with lots of vanilla ice cream. Top with last layer of fried tortilla dusted in cinnamon and powered sugar...VOILA... Crack it all open and serve !!!
Good tumeric powder
Using a good quality tumeric will enhance the flavors of this dish. I have used this in my curries when I don't have fresh roots.