The Hospitality Guru (cooking) Back to Basics: Hors D'oeuvres for Cocktail Party
HORS D’OEUVRES WITHIN THE COKTAIL PARTY
The selection should be of first quality, fresh and well prepared.
- Be aware of time restraint between the cooking of the food and service.
- The hors d’oeuvres must be served hot and therefore must be passed frequently. Once they cool, many foods are truly unappealing, and some foods cannot be reheated.
- The cold hors d’oeuvres must have the appearance and flavour of freshly prepared foods. Cold foods should be chilled, but not served straight out of the refrigerator. Serving them close to room temperature provides a better flavour.
- Be aware that deep fried foods need to drain properly before being placed on linen napkins or doilies.
- Always clean and polish platters and dishes prior to service, and keep at a suitable temperature.