- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
The Hospitality Guru: (Cooking) Back To Basics - Lime Pickle Roast Chicken
500g boiling potatoes, scrubbed
1 Large Chicken, portioned into pieces
4 tablespoons Lime Pickle
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
150g Chicken Stock
Steamed Green Beans & Snow Peas, to serve
Seasoning (Salt & Pepper) to taste
1 Lime (To Zest & Juice)
Preheat the oven to 200c.
Rinse the chicken under cold running water, pat dry with paper towel. Rub the lime pickle over the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 minutes.
Bring pot of salted water to the boil. Thinly slice the potatoes and blanch them in the boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, and then arrange the slices over a baking tray. Place chips in oven and cook for 20 minutes till golden brown.
Place the marinated chicken pieces into a hot pan and seal (caramelise lightly), place into a baking tray. Add chicken stock and the remaining lime pickle marinade, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, pour stock marinade mixture into heavy base pan and reduce to make gravy like sauce. Allow chicken to rest for a few minutes.
On four warmed plates, place potato chips, steamed greens & chicken, pour the gravy mixture on. (Serves 4)
Seasonal Ideas - TIPS & HINTS
It's a fabulous idea to always have a jar of both lime pickle and preserved lemons in the cupboard. They add an instant flavour punch to many dishes and can turn a few sad old ingredients into an exciting, fresh & beautiful meal.
- Add preserved lemon or lime rind to a bread stuffing and let the exotic flavours and aromas infuse the chicken before roasting or grilling.
- Add Lime Pickle or finely chop preserved lemon and scatter through salads, or add to mayonnaise and serve with chargrilled salmon or chicken.
- Add finely chopped Lime Pickle to steamed cous cous with a scattering of tasted almonds, currants and coriander, or finely chop and rub over fish fillets before baking.
- Finely chip 1 or 2 tablespoons of lime pickle and add it to brown rice with roughly chopped parsley and finely diced cucumber. Serve with roast chicken or grilled snags. (Sausages).
- Add finely chopped Lime Pickle to gremolata for a spicy twist to add to rich meaty stews.