Taco Salad Homestyle
Taco Salads is a Mexican dish, but one that is loved by so many here in the United States, not just Mexicans. Taco Salads come in many different ways. Even at the Mexican Restaurants, you won't find one taco salad like any other. Everyone puts their unique touch to it. However, Mexican restaurants use goat cheese.
Taco Salads can be a one-dish meal, or you can add some refried beans or Mexican/Spanish Rice with it.
Some people pick the chips up with their fingers and dig in. While others try to be more elegant with their eating and use a fork, totally up to you, and your manners of what utensils you use.
When it comes to Taco Tuesday, you can choose from just a taco or a taco salad at most places who participate in Taco Tuesdays.
Ground Beef Mixture Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pack McCormick Taco Season Mix
- 3/4 cup water
Ground Beef Instructions
- Cook the hamburger meat until it is thoroughly cooked all the way through. For a faster cooking time, add some water to the hamburger meat. Stir occasionally to keep the meat from sticking. Brown the meat all the way through.
- Pour the ground beef mixture into a strainer.
- Run hot faucet water over the ground beef to help drain the grease off the ground beef. Use warm water to keep from clogging up your sink pipes.
- Return the meat to your saucepan.
- Open your packet of McCormick taco season and add to the ground beef.
- Pour in the 3/4 cup of water.
- Stir the ground meat mixture up thoroughly.
- Turn the stovetop to medium-low.
- Stir all ingredients as it is cooking
- Cover and simmer.
- Cook until all the water has been cooked down.
Toppings You May Use To Finish Off Your Completed Look
- Tortilla Chips
- Lettuce ~ chopped or shredded
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped Onions
- Sliced Black Olives
- Sliced Jalapeno's
- Shredded Cheese
- Taco Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Salt & Black Pepper
Topping You Salad
After you have finished cooking your ground beef mixture, you are ready to start fixing your salad on your plates.
You may also place it in a bowl. However, it looks more pleasing to the eye on a plate.
- Layout your chips on your plate. You can use a few chips or a lot, depending on your taste for the chips
- Spoon some ground beef mixture evenly over the chips
- Add the lettuce to the top of your ground beef mixture
- On top of the lettuce, place your chopped tomatoes
- Add some sliced black olives
- Sprinkle some chopped onions
- Add some Jalapenos
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese
- Drizzle some taco sauce over your taco salad
- Spoon a heap of sour cream right on the top of the pile
- For extra flavor, add salt & black pepper
I did not add a certain amount of topping per serving. Each person has their unique taste on toppings and how much they would like on their salad. Some like a lot of sauce, some just enough to taste. So the amount of the toppings is solely up to the individual. However, if you were going to make this in a restaurant, you would want to know the correct amount for each salad, to keep better track of your inventory and cost per serving.
I did use the serving size of 9 chips though, in the picture, that was the recommended amount listed on the bag.
If you wish to make you a dish to take to work for lunch, place your ground beef mixture in a separate bowl, so you can heat it at the break without ruining your vegetable toppings in the microwave. Then pour over your chips and add your toppings.
Nutrition Facts For This Taco Salad
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 55 mg||18%|
|Sodium 219 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 KathyWheelerJouini