Tandoori Roast Chicken Served With a Cooling Cucumber Raita
Inspired by classic tandoori cooking, this richly flavoured bird is rubbed with a fragrant, spicy paste and served with a cooling cucumber raita
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2kg whole large chicken
- 1cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cucumber, trimmed and cut into ribbons or batons, to serve
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 300ml natural yogurt
- Roasted sweet potato wedges to serve
- 1 lime, halved, plus extra wedges to serve
How to Cook
- Crush the cardamom pods with the back of a spoon to release the seeds. Discard the husks. Put the seeds into a food processor with the garlic. ginger, oil, garam masala and half of the yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- Put the lime halves in the chicken cavity. Rub the yogurt marinade all over the chicken. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Remove the chicken from the fridge and transfer to a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 1 hour 40 mins or until cooked through: the juices should run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. Check the chicken afterl hour and cover with foil if it's browning too quickly.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 15 mins before carving. Meanwhile, make a raita by mixing the remaining yogurt with the mint and coriander, then season lightly. Serve the chicken with the cucumber, lime wedges, raita and sweet potato wedges.
(150g chicken, plus raita) : 308 cals,13.2g fat, 3.7g saturates, 3.89 sugars, 0.43g salt