India is land of sweets. Its people are sweet to talk to. Every cuisine of India worth its name has countless sweets. Also it is Indian tradition to eat some sweet at the end of each meal. Jalebi is one of the most popular sweets of India. It is liked by all be it young kids or old men. Like most other sweets it is full of sugar and calories. It may be fun to eat this sweet but it is not healthy so I would recommend you to not overindulge eating this sweet. It is cheap and is readily available in all the villages and cities across India and near by countries. It is moth watering and dipped in sugar sauce ( chasni as it is called in Hindi). It is commonly seen that once people start eating Jalebi they don’t stop till they have finished all of it or till they can not eat more
1. Refined Flour (Maida) : 1½ cups.
2. Soda bi carbonate: 1 Tsp.
3. Sugar: 2½ cups.
4. Cardamom Powder: ½ Tsp
5. Ghee: For deep frying.
6. Saffron: A pinch.
- First of all take the refined flour in a bowl.
- Add water and soda bi carb.
- Mix well to make a smooth batter.
- Make sure that you add enough water so the batter is of pouring consistency.
- Let it ferment for 6 to 8 hours at least.
- Now in a pan take equal quantities of water and sugar.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Heat for 20 minutes.
- Keep this pan aside.
- Take a shallow frying pan.
- Heat Ghee moderately.
- While Ghee is being heated, take a strong cloth with small hole in center.
- Pour Jalebi batter in the cloth.
- Now in the heated ghee, pour the jalebi batter through the hole. Start poring from outside to inside to make jalebis. It is poured as to make circles.
- Cook on both sides.
- Cook till jalebis are crips.
- Dip them in the sugar syrup straight from the pan.
- Keep them in sugar syrup for minimum of 5 minutes so the syrup goes deep inside the jalebis.
- Serve Hot.
- It is not easy to make jalebis in beginning but once you get nack of it, then it is easy.
- Keep 3 mm hole in the pouring cloth.
- Start making one jalebi at one time, when you master it then you can make pan full of jalebis.
- To make them more crisp, you can add little bit of rice flour to refined flour when making batter.