- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make tasty Coconut Rice or Thengai Sadam South Indian Tamilnadu or Madras Style Recipe
Rate Here !
Coconut Rice - Introduction
This hub guides you through the process of making Coconut Rice.
You might have come across lot many ways of making Coconut Rice. But this is a typical South Indian Madras style of making Coconut Rice.
I have considered the ingredients to make the tasty Coconut rice only for 2 people.
- 1/4 kg Rice, (washed)
- 100 ml Coconut Oil
- ½ tea spoon Mustard
- 1 tea spoon Bengal gram
- 1 tea spoon Broken white gram
- 100 gms Coconut grated
- 2 Red chilies, cut in to pieces
- ½ tea spoon Salt
How to cook / bake Rice
Cooker based cooking: In a cooker pour ½ liter water and put thoroughly washed rice in close the lid. Wait for 3-4 whistles for the rice to get cooked
Oven based Cooking: You can bake your rice with 1/2 liter water in oven container. Keep it in oven for 20-25 minutes and allow it to boil. Or follow your oven manual / guidelines for baking.
- In a frying pan or flat vessel or copper bottomed vessel, add oil, mustard seeds and wait till it crackles
- Add Bengal gram, broken white gram and red chilies and wait till it becomes golden brown
- Add coconut in the mixture and fry till it becomes dry and then finally put the cooked rice and salt in it and stir well
- Finally garnish the coconut rice with coriander leaves on it
- Coconut rice can be served with coriander chutney or Mango pickle
© 2012 Ravi and Swastha