- Food and Cooking
Thai recipe - Thai cuisine - Thai red curry recipe made from paste
Lots of ready made Thai curry paste are available in the supermarkets but making your own paste for the curry is fun. Here are the simple step by step procedure for the Thai red Curry.
Ingredients for paste
- 2 medium size purple onions, chopped
- 1-2 red chilies
- 4 garlic cloves
- Small piece of ginger, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder (depending on taste)
- 3 Tbsp. thick coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice
- Fresh or frozen lemon grass
Ingredients for curry
- Coconut milk can
- 1 tsp. oil
- 2 small cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- Vegetables like baby corn, beans, red green and orange peppers, baby sweet peas and zucchini works well with red curry
- Meat optional
1. Make a paste of all the ingredients for curry paste in a food processor or blender
To Make a Curry out of the Paste
2. Fry the paste in the oil for one minute to release the colour and fragrance.
3. In a separate pan sauté the meat, tofu or vegetables of your choice with little oil on high heat.
4. Add the coconut milk to create the curry sauce and the sautéed vegetables.
Serving suggestion: Before serving, sprinkle over some fresh coriander or basil.