- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
The Benefits of Liver - Liver Recipes Included
I remember back in junior high school our teacher asked us what we had for breakfast. My response was liver. Yes, I actually had liver for breakfast. And it was so good. Of course, everyone made a face at that answer. And it wasn't just because I had liver for breakfast but because I had liver period. What's so bad about eating liver? Nothing. It tastes great, if not overcooked and it is good for you too. So before you cringe at the thought of eating liver you should give it a try.
I used to only eat veal liver but then I tried beef liver and now eat both of them. Sometimes I eat chicken liver too but that I make into delicious pate.
The Benefits of Liver
Liver (beef and calf) is rich in iron, protein, vitamin A and the B complex vitamins B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, and B-12. So the next time you cringe at the thought of putting liver into your body think again. You will do yourself a lot of good by consuming liver. And contrary to what you might think the taste is not bad at all.
I urge you to give liver a try before you turn away from it. You will not regret it. Plus you will do your body some good.
- 2 pieces liver, beef, or calf
- cooking oil
- Remove the liver (beef, or calf) from its packaging, wash under running water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the liver onto a cutting board and using a meat knife slice the liver either into cubes or into wide strips.
- Place some flour onto a plate and roll the sliced liver in the flour, making sure that all the sides of the liver have flour on them.
- Add oil to a skillet and place on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot add the sliced liver. Sprinkle with salt and fry for three to four minutes. Then turn the liver over with a spatula, sprinkle with salt, and fry for three to four minutes. When the liver is done cooking remove onto a plate.
- Peel and slice a medium onion and fry on the skillet until golden brown. Add the fried onion onto the fried liver and enjoy.
Side Dishes for Fried Liver
You can enjoy fried liver by itself or eat it with a side dish. One side dish that goes great with fried liver is potatoes. You can have them mashed, fried, or boiled. I love eating fried liver with fried potatoes best and find it very delicious.
Another great side dish for fried liver is pasta. I love ring shaped pasta and recently that's what I've been having as a side dish when eating fried liver. It is really good.
Some will say that liver is an acquired taste and maybe it is but in my opinion it is delicious from the very first bite. Maybe that's because I've been raised in a family where liver is a common dish.
© 2012 Lena Kovadlo