- Food and Cooking
The Best Ever Avocado Chicken Tacos
Around our house we LOVE avocados, and even that's an understatement. We eat avocados on just about everything and in everything we can think of.
At Thanksgiving, we even had avocados in our eggs because my husband's grand-parents have an avocado tree in their backyard. You know we had to bring a bag home for ourselves!
I'm also all about cooking simple and quick dinners, since I'm usually bogged down with so much else that spending more than an hour on dinner is just way too much time for me!
This recipe was a great way to do just that with our favorite fruit AVOCADOS! Chicken, cherry tomatoes, and avocados all wrapped up in a tortilla. Perfect! And also delicious!
My husband really doesn't like tomatoes, which is why there are none in the picture above, lol, but he certainly loves his cheese. He usually piles on loads of shredded cheese in place of tomatoes to finish off his dish.
Sometimes he makes guacamole instead of chopping the avocados as well. He doesn't like the effort that goes into trying not to smash them. lol
This is really one of those meals you can make your by adding, onions, mushrooms, peppers, chiles, salsa, fish, pork, hamburger, fajita meat, or anything else to suite your taste buds. And because it's buffet-style, each person in your family can really make it his or her own!
What are your favorite taco fillings?
- 2 large chicken breasts, fresh or frozen
- 2 large avocados
- 1 (10-count) package medium flour tortillas
- 1 (16oz) package cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- First you'll want to cook your chicken through. At our house we do this super quick on the stove in a skillet with a cover. Place your two chicken breast into a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil, cover and cook for 20 minutes, until brown on both sides, and liquid runs clear. You'll want to flip your breasts halfway through your cook time.
- In the meantime, chop all of your cherry tomatoes in half creating small half circles. Place these in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop both of your avocados into small chunks as well so that they are bite-sized for your tacos. The easiest way I've found is to 1) cut the avocado in half all the way around, 2) grab both sides and gently twist to free one half of the avocado, 3) lodge the length of the knife into the avocado pit carefully so you don't cut yourself, 4) holding the avocado in one hand and the knife in the other, twist both in opposite directions and your avocado pit should free itself, 5) cut length-wise and width-wise slits in the meat while it's still in the skin, careful not to cut all the way through the avocado skin, 6) and finally, with a large spoon, cup the avocado half in one hand and slide the large spoon in between the meat and the skin to slide it all right out of its skin without smashing any of it. After cutting it all up, place these cubes in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove your chicken breasts from the pan when cooked thoroughly, and season both sides well with a season-all. We use Harley's Seasoning for everything!
- At our home, my husband likes diced chicken and I love shredded chicken, so you get to choose how you like it. You might even like it sliced like fajitas. After cutting it all up, place it all in a small bowl and set aside.
- You might want to fan out however many tortillas you think you'll nee in the microwave and zap them for 10-20 seconds so you can serve them warm.
- Lay out all of your ingredients and let your guests/family make their own Avocado Chicken Tacos! That was super easy wasn't it?! Cooking the chicken takes the longest amount of time. lol
|Serving size: About 1 filled taco|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 13 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 26 g||52%|
|Cholesterol 68 mg||23%|
|Sodium 244 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Quick, easy, and less than 30 minutes from kitchen to table! What more can you ask for?
Avocados are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C, K, folate, and B-6. Half of an avocado has only 160 calories, 15 grams of heart-healthy unsaturated fat, and only 2 grams saturated fat.
One avocado contains more than one-third of your daily recommended value of vitamin C, and more than half the day’s requirements of vitamin K. (WebMD)
Blended with a flour tortilla, plenty of tomatoes, and yummy chicken (and any other wonderful addition you can make!), this makes this meal one of the healthiest you could make for your friends and family!
Try it. It's simple and great tasting. My husband requests these again and again!