- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best Ever Broccoli and Cheese Soup
One of my favorite soups in the entire world would, of course, include one of my favorite foods: cheese!
No matter what restaurant I visit, or whose house I have this at, this soup is always a winner. I finally had to find a way to make this delicacy for myself.
We always have Velveeta in the house, and broccoli is one of our staples, so it was simply laziness on my part not to have already made it. So one afternoon, researching recipes and ingredients for my recipes, I got a craving for broccoli cheese soup.
It didn't take but about 30 minutes to quickly whip up a batch of cheese sauce and toss some broccoli in. . . and wow! This made a creamy, cheesy, delicious broccoli cheese soup with just a hint of spice.
I already make something similar to this when pulling together my incredible broccoli, chicken, and rice casserole for dinner. I promise, this will be a huge hit in your household, just like it is in mine!
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 pound (12 oz) Velveeta cheese
- 2 large fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt and pepper
- Chop 1/2 large yellow onion into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat until melted.
- Add in your 1/2 onion and cook down until soft and translucent; about 5 minutes or so.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour to the pan with your cooked onions and mix together.
- Pour your 2 cups of milk into your onion and flour mixture.
- Raise heat to boiling, stirring frequently, and then as soon as it is boiling, lower the temperature back down to medium heat.
- Chop up 12 ounces of Velveeta cheese into small blocks.
- Add to your saute pan, stir well, and cook on medium to medium low heat until completely melted through; about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir your mixture frequently and make sure the Velveeta, and your cream sauce, doesn't burn. Turn the heat down if it starts cooking too hot or too fast.
- In the meantime, chop up your 2 florets of fresh broccoli into small pieces.
- When your mixture is completely melted and well mixed, add your broccoli pieces and stir everything together.
- Cook everything on at least medium heat until your broccoli is cooked through and soft. This may take another 5-10 minutes.
- Test a piece of broccoli every now and then until it cuts without much pressure with a fork.
- Keep stirring.
- When your soup is ready, lightly season with your 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
|Serving size: 3/4 cup of soup|
|Calories from Fat||126|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 14 g||22%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 11 g||22%|
|Cholesterol 42 mg||14%|
|Sodium 1380 mg||58%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Feel free to make this dish your own my adding some rice or barley, chicken or hamburger, and leeks and/or chives. You could add a dozen others ingredients as well.
This creamy soup have a nice smooth texture and a mild flavor making it appropriate for just about anybody in your family. One thing that's fabulous about this recipe is that if you don't have one of the ingredients, you can easily substitute them.
Throw in shredded cheese rather than Velveeta. Toss is some frozen veggies instead of the fresh ones. You can even easily use heavy cream or buttermilk to substitute for the milk in the recipe.
Perfect for a chilly night in front of the fireplace, something simple and yummy to feed your kids, a wonderful appetizer for a dinner party, or even a nice warm dish to curl up with on the couch, this broccoli and cheese soup will be a regular in your household after one meal.