- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
The Best Ever Homemade Chili
Like so many of my other recipes, I get a craving and then do my best to figure out how to make it. Tonight I was craving chili and cornbread, but I didn't have a good chili recipe.
I figured with a good pot of yummy chili I could make chili dogs with the leftovers hot dogs that we had in the refrigerator. I wanted the kind of chili that you could get in the can, like so good ole Wolf brand chili. No chunks of veggies, we didn't have any beans, and a nice consistency for hot dogs.
So I went looking for recipes online. What I really like to do is to look at all of the recipes, pick out all of the ingredients that I like, and then go see what we have in the pantry that I can substitute for them. lol
So that's what I did. We didn't have any tomatoes, we only had red onions, I didn't even have tomato sauce or green chilies, but I did have some good substitutes. Some tomato soup here, some tomatillos and a red onion there, and the chili turned out amazing!
In the ingredients, I tried to revise a bit to make more sense, but it's pretty close to exactly what I did.You'll probably want to spice it up with your own ingredients to make it chunky, with beans, or whatever you prefer.
Not only was this recipe great over a hot dog, but it made for an incredible Frito pie. I think Fritos were created specifically for this chili! It was that good.
I can't wait to share the exact cornbread recipe with you too!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato soup
- 1 cup salsa, any kind
- 1 (8 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup water
- Thaw 2lbs ground beef and dump it into a big pot. Cook your ground beef on medium.
- In the meantime, drop an entire large yellow onion into the food processor. Some people might like bigger onion pieces in their chili, and that's fine too!
- Dump your processed onion into the pot with your ground beef. Cook for approximately 15 minutes until the hamburger is completely cooked though and the onion is soft.
- TIP: We buy the huge packages of hamburger for cheap, and then my husband cooks it all, with garlic and all-seasoning, as soon as we get home. We then package it in 1lb increments in sandwich bags and put them in the freezer. This way, I can grab however much I need out of the freezer and have it ready in a couple of minutes rather than having to spend time thawing and cooking.
- Dump in your spices (garlic powder and chili powder) and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add in your 2 cans of tomato soup condensed, your 1 can of Rotel, your cup of salsa, and 1 cup of water.
- Stir everything together well. Cover and turn the heat down to low.
- Let your chili simmer for one hour without peeking, except maybe to stir it every now and then (and of course it will need to be tasted periodically, lol).
|Serving size: 1 1/2 cup chili|
|Calories from Fat||279|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 31 g||48%|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Fiber 9 g||36%|
|Protein 27 g||54%|
|Cholesterol 96 mg||32%|
|Sodium 1366 mg||57%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
One thing that's truly great about this meal is that you can add just about any ingredients that sound good to you and make it yours.
It's truly amazing on it's own, but add celery, corn, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, red and green peppers, jalapenos, or anything else you can think of to make it even better.
You can also eat this in a thousand different ways! Tonight we're putting it over hot dogs and also making Frito pie. Toss some shredded cheese, chives, and onions on top and you've got an excellent dish no matter how you serve it. We love our chili!
I also made some Amazing Cornbread to go with our chili. You'll want to check out that incredibly easy and delicious recipe as well! Enjoy!