The Best Ever Oven Fried Chicken
I have to attribute this amazing recipe to my incredible mother-in-law. You will never find one better. She has been so supportive of me, and has been a great resource for out-of-this-world recipes.
We love fried chicken at our house, but are just not frying kind of people (except when it comes to onion rings!). So my mother-in-law passed on this wonderful recipe that gives us the same taste and the same crunch of fried chicken, without the mess of hot oil and the calories that usually come with frying.
We use fresh bread slices for our bread crumbs and tons of Parmesan cheese. You wouldn't believe how crispy, crunchy the chicken actually gets just in the oven.
And then you can use it for so many different recipes.
- 2 fresh or frozen chicken breasts, (may easily substitute other parts of the chicken)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, (1 slice of bread)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
- If not already thawed, defrost your 2 chicken breasts. You can do this overnight in the refrigerator, by submerging them in room temperature or warm water, or even in the microwave.
- Process one slice of bread in the food processor down to fine bread crumbs. Pour into a large pie pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of garlic powder to the pie pan with the bread crumbs.
- Also add your garlic salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- Finally add your Parmesan cheese and mix everything up well.
- There are also many ways to coat your chicken breasts. Running each breast under water before coating is one way. You could also use egg, milk, or even flavored sauce or salad dressing for an interesting kick before coating them in bread crumbs.
- For this recipe, I will suggest running your thawed chicken breasts under water and then laying them down (one at a time) into the bread crumbs in the pie plate. Coat one side well, and then the other. You might need a spoon to help scoop bread crumbs into hard places.
- As each breast is coated, lay it out on your pre-prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour at 375 degrees F, and then turn off the oven temperature and set the oven broil to low. Leave them in about 10-15 minutes longer to brown and crisp the tops of the chicken breasts.
- Coat in Ranch dressing for wonderful Ranch Chicken, BBQ sauce for an interesting twist on BBQ Fried Chicken, or even Italian dressing for an out-of-this-world Italian Fried Chicken.
- Yummy! Yummy!
|Serving size: 1 chicken breast|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 24 g||48%|
|Cholesterol 134 mg||45%|
|Sodium 296 mg||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
I really couldn't believe how delicious it wad the first time I made it. But since we've made it at least a couple times a month, and for a variety of different dinners.
We'll eat it like fried chicken with homemade mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, we'll slice it up for our salads or chicken fingers, and you could even cut the chicken up differently before breading it to make chicken nuggets.
I promise this is great on noodles and on top of rice, with a great number of sauces and gravies. I think we've tried them all.
For a real treat for your little ones, process down their favorite cereal or crackers, and give them tons of ketchup or ranch. This never fails to get them to eat. Good luck!
What do you think of this recipe?
- Garlic and Thyme Roast Chicken Recipe
Butterflied and roasted whole chicken with garlic and thyme, as well as a recipe for garlic and thyme roasted Mediterranean vegetables as a delicious serving accompaniment.
- Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken Recipe
Learn how to make a delicious lemon and herb roast chicken. This easy whole chicken recipe includes simple to follow instructions with step-by-step pictures.
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
Have you always wanted to make Buttermilk Fried Chicken but you couldn't ever find that perfect recipe. Well I have the perfect recipe for you for Buttermilk Fired Chicken.
- Tomato Bacon Chicken Tacos
We eat chicken so often in our home, because it's so inexpensive and easy to cook, that it's necessary to change it up and cook it in different ways.
© 2013 Victoria Van Ness