The Best Ever Sloppy Joe recipe
My husband and I have always loved sloppy joes. Typically we just bought the can of Manwich and added it to cooked hamburger, but I was always dreaming of the amazing sloppies that I had in elementary school that made my mouth water.
Manwich never quite did that for me. But man are these amazing! We simply combined all of our favorite ingredients together and essentially made sloppies from scratch the good old-fashioned way.
Never again have I thought about those delicious sloppy joes from my elementary school lunches. I now have something that's even better. I don't even remember what those tasted like anymore! If you crave the sloppies from your younger days and simply can't get back to the scrumptiousness, this is the recipe for you!
- 1 pound hamburger, as lean as possible
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 (16 oz) can Bush's baked beans, any flavor
- This is probably where you would pull your hamburger out of the freezer and thaw it, or out of the refrigerator and cook it. If this is what you're doing just now, please make sure to pour off the fat and rinse your hamburger afterward. I know you might feel I'm taking away all of the flavor, but I'm making it healthy and we're about to add a tons of flavor back in!
- My husband and I typically buy the humongous 5lb. packages of hamburger when we go to the store. We immediately drop it into the biggest pan we own when we get home and cook it all up. From there we separate it out into 5 sandwich bags evenly so that they're each about a pound, and chunk them all in the freezer. What makes this so easy is that when I want to cook something, like sloppy joes, for dinner that require hamburger meat, all I have to do is pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it's all ready to use. Super simple!
- So my first official instruction for you is to pop that frozen bag of hamburger in the microwave for two minutes, and then dump it into a saute pan along with your onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook them on medium until the onion and bell pepper start to get soft.
- In the meantime, mix the ketchup, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar together in a small bowl.
- Pour this mixture in with your hamburger in the saute pan on the stove.
- Finally, add your baked beans. We use Bush's simply because they are so amazing! Feel free to use pork and beans or any other baked beans of your choosing. We like a lot of beans, but if this is simply too much for you, feel free to use an 8oz can. Obviously I want this meal to be yours!
- Stir everything well to combine and heat thoroughly before serving.
- We like to serve ours on hamburger buns or homemade bread. My husband likes his toasted with shredded cheese on top. About a 1/2 cup of your sloppy mixture is one serving. I also suggest serving your sloppies with coleslaw! Enjoy!
|Serving size: 1 sloppy joe sandwich|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 12 mg||4%|
|Sodium 300 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The secret ingredient for these amazing sloppy joes, other than the fact that I'm not using the traditional sloppy joe sauce from a can, is the beans!! Yummy!
Like I told you before, I feel like I've spent the rest of my life searching for the sloppy joe experience I had as a kid in my school cafeteria, only to come up empty handed every time. By simply adding our favorite baked beans to the sandwich mix, because we were going to eat them with our sandwiches either way, I found what I've been looking for for so long!
It's hard to decide which recipe is my favorite anymore with all of the great ones we've been finding! I hope you enjoy it!