- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
The Best Ever Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
This is not only one of my favorite cookies of all time, but it's the very first one I ever made in my life. My husband requests these again and again in our household. These are our favorites, but they don't last very long.
Yummy soft sugar cookies covered in cinnamon AND sugar! It's almost too much for the brain to handle. I've found tons of wonderful cookie recipes since then, but these have always remained my most favorite.
They're so simple to make that I can just whip some up really quick when we have a last minute dinner we're heading to, last minute guests, or just desire a quick dessert. Here's the recipe!
- 1 cup shortening or butter
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons sugar, separated
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover multiple cookie sheets in aluminum foil and spray well with cooking spray. I prepare multiple cookie sheets so I can make cookies in shifts in the oven.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar in a medium bowl with a hand-mixer or bowl mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; Mix until well blended.
- When the mixture gets too thick to mix with a hand or bowl mixer, finish mixing by hand.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. (If you feel like you need more cinnamon or more of both, feel free to adjust to desired amount.)
- Roll your dough into medium sized balls, about an inch in diameter, and drop them a few at a time into your bowl of cinnamon and sugar.
- Place cookies about 2 inches apart on your prepared cookie sheets. Do not smash. They bake fluffier and softer if left in balls when you put them in the oven.
- Bake for exactly 10 minutes. Just like my Chocolate Chip Cookie and Sugar Cookie recipes, you will want the cookies to be slightly brown on the bottom, but not brown on top.
- I live at 5000 feet elevation and so my cooking times might be a tad bit different than yours. I would watch your cookies closely and adjust your times as necessary.
- Allow to cool before serving.
|Serving size: 1 cookie out of 18|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 23 mg||8%|
|Sodium 143 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Next to Chocolate Chip cookies and Sugar cookies, Snickerdoodles are an American tradition!
Ask just about anybody what a snickerdoodle is and not only should they be able to tell you, but they've probably had one and/or made one!
If you haven't, you are really missing out! The crispy outside, chewy inside and buttery flavor will bring you back for more time and time again! Enjoy!
If you want more cookie recipes after enjoying this one, I've included a variety of links for you below, along with some great Cookie cookbooks that will be chocked full of tons more!
More Recipes You Might Like
- 13 Easy Meringue Cookie Recipes
I love making meringues. Here are 13 ways to make these tasty little puffs, including step-by-step pictures. Gluten- and sugar-free recipes included.
- A Vintage, Old-Fashioned Ice Box Cookie Family Recip...
My mother remembered the days of ice boxes & this family cookie recipe goes back to those days or possibly even further. Enjoy!
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
These are the most amazing cookies! The secret ingredient to really making these pop is the brown sugar. Before you dive in, you must know and be prepared to be the most popular person on the ...
- The Best Ever Butter Cookies
I have always LOVED butter cookies. I always had at least one box of the grocery store specials on my counter top during all special occasions, even if that just meant I was feeling good that day.