- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Chicken Biryani
Biryani is one of the tastiest dish from the Moughal era in India. Biryani was favourite dish of many emperors including Akbar the Great.
Biryani always has the best of Basmati Rice. Biryani can be vegatble ( which don’t have meat). Chicken biryani or mutton biryani ( lamb meat). The rich aroma of biryani can make anyone’s mouth water and can give rise to hunger even on full stomach.
The Chicken Biryani
- 1 Chicken, Divided in to 8 pieces, skinned
- 5 Green Cardamom pods, Crushed
- 300 ml or 10 FL oz Yoghurt
- 150 ml / 5 Fl. Oz Milk
- 2 Red Onion, Sliced
- 1 Pound or 450 Grams Basmati Rice
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Green Chilies
- 4Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Ginger, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tsp Garlic, Fresh and crushed
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Black Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric, Grounded
- 1 Tsp Saffron Threads
- 6 Tbsp Desi Ghee
- 3 Tsp Cilantro leaves / coriander leaves, Chopped
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- In a big bowl mix well ginger, garlic, Garam masala, red chili powder, cardamoms and 1 Tsp of salt. Add chicken pieces and Yoghurt and mix well. Cover it marinate for 3 hours in refrigrator
- Soak rice in the water for 30 minutes and drain them.
- In a pan boil milk and add saffron threads. Keep aside.
- Now in a large pan , put 6 Tbsp of Desi Ghee. Turn heat on high and add onions. Saute them till they are golden brown.
- Now take half of onions out of the pan and keep aside.
- Now in another pan boil water put rice, cinnamon sticks, black peppercorns and black cumin seeds in the water.Cook till rice are half boiled. Remove from Heat. Drain and keep in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of salt and mix. Set Aside
- Now take the chicken mixture out of refrigerator and mix it in the pan containing half of onions and Ghee. Now add half of chopped chilies, half of saffron milk, half of lemon juice and half of cilantro. Now add rice in the chicken. Mix well
- Now add everything left including half of ghee and onions. Cover pan tightly and cook for one hour on low heat. Now check for the chicken. If it is still not cook then cover pan tightly again and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Now with a large wooden spoon, mix the dish well. Serve hot with coriander chutney and yoghurt.
1. Though Desi Ghee is desired but if not available then you can use vanaspati Ghee too.
2. In place of red onions you can use white onions too.
3. Make sure the ingredients are well mixed with chicken so chicken absorbs all aroma and taste of spices at time of marination.
4. Use only Basmati Rice.
5. You can also use boiled eggs cut in half to garnish.