Best Smoothie For Diabetics Recipes
The danger of being over weight
Being overweight is not good. Over time it can cause all sorts of health problems, and one of the most dangerous is being diagnosed as a diabetic. This happened to me, and so I know I had to make changes to the way I was eating.
One thing I did, was to reduce my sugar and salt intake to almost zero. I also begin to look for meals that are both nutritious and filling at the same time. The recipe that I am sharing with today does that, it is both quick and very easy to make.
- 2 ripe apples, peeled chop and grated
- 1 cup oats
- 3 bananas
- 1 table spoon honey
- 1 tea spoon cinnamon powder
- 2 ounces wheat germ
- 1 cup soya milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raw oats
- First peel the apples and then grate them on a grater. Next peel and mash the ripe bananas. Now get the blender and add in the apple, bananas, oats, honey, vanilla Soya milk and finally add water. I do not want the smoothie to be too thick, or too watery -if you use too much water. The size of the blender and the amount of each ingredient will determine that. The height of my blender is about 7.5 inches, so I strive for about 3 standard cups full.
- Blend for about 2 minutes. On my blender I choose the blender speed that say,"milkshake or smoothie". After pouring it out, just add some wheat germ (see the image below). I use too much wheat germ and sprinkle it on the top of the smoothie. But be warn, *wheat germ while extraordinary good for you, is also thin and flaky and will choke you, Please blend it into what ever meal you are having. Now, just pour it in any container that you want. I used a tall glass to show you how it looked after I made it. But if you taking it to work, then use a portable shaker cup.
Wheat Germs health facts
Why did I choose these ingredients? I am pre-diabetic and my body cannot tolerate regular sugar nor any animal milk, and I also suffer from high cholesterol.
So now, I will explain the benefit of wheat germ and tell you about a honey alternative, for those who do not like honey.
The power of Wheat Germ
First what is wheat germ? It is the embryo that contains the dna of a cereal plant, or a plant's blue print. It is the reproductive part of the cereal plant that when put into the earth grows in a cereal plant.
Wheat germ is a power house of several essential nutrients combined together in each wheat.
Some of these nutrients include:
- Vitamin E
- Folic Acid
Let's talk fiber. Fiber absorbs water in our bodies, which help soften our stool and makes us go to the bathroom more regularly. It stabilized our blood glucose levels and helps lower our cholesterol levels. This is good because not having enough fiber in our diets puts us at risk for weight gain, diabetes, and heart problems. See how powerful wheat germ is.
Taken one by one, each of these mentioned nutrients is good for you, but to have them all in one plant is phenomenal!
You maybe wondering where is it sold?? Wheat germ is sold in most supermarkets, health food stores, and pharmacies.
I am not going to lie to you though, to me it taste a bit bland. It is very light and flaky. So blend it in all the meals. It can be sprinkled on almost any food that you like, such as cereal, protein shakes, drinks, and water.
It is best to store in a cool place like your fridge, away from sunlight, to prevent it becoming rancid.
Stevia an alternative to cane sugar
The Stevia sweetner now sold worldwide. It is made from the Stevia plant found in Brazil and other South American countries. The Guarani tribes of Paraguay and Brazil call the plant the sweet herb.
Scientists have found the leaves to be 200 to 400 times sweeter than regular table sugar. The leaves of the Stevia plant contain sweet compounds called Stevioside and Rebaudioside A. Stevia is also light years more beneficial than regular cane sugar. Regular sugar has is empty calories, no nutritional value. Instead will make you gain weight, put you at risk for diabetes, and slow cell growth which can lead to premature aging.
However, Stevia has many health benefits. After having a meal; it is found to combat glucose surges reduce insulin levels. Other known benefits include the following:
- May Lower Blood Pressure.
- Strengthens Bone.
- Fights Cavities.
- helps Prevent Ear And Upper Respiratory Infections.
Please note this is a suggestion, not a recommendation. For further information please see the article below.
Stevia health benefits
- Health Benefits Of Stevia and Xylitol - Life Extension
Studies show that both stevia and xylitol protect against typical after-meal glucose surges and reduce insulin needs.
So there you have it. A most delicious (to me) and nutritional smoothie, which will make you feel full throughout the day. Please try it and leave a comment below.
Thank you for reading.
So what is your view
Do you think smoothies can help you to lose weight?
© 2020 Rosemarie Graham