How to make Three Mousse Recipes
Tuna- Olive Mousse
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cans(7oz) tuna,drained and flaked
3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise or cooked salad dressing
1 cup dairy sour cream
1/2 cup chopped pimento-stuffed olives
Crisp salad greens
Whole pimento stuffed olives
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1. Sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice combined with 1/4 cup cold water in small bowl; let stand 5 minutes to soften.
2.Set bowl in pan of boiling water; stir to dissolve gelatin
3.Combine tuna with vinegar, mayonnaise,sour cream,chopped olives, and gelatin mixture;mix very well.
4.Turn mixture into a 4 to 4 1/2 cup ring mold. Refrigerate overnight.
5.To unmold;Run a small spatula around edge of mold.Invert onto serving platter: shake gently to release. If necessary,place a hot damp dish cloth over mold;shake to release.
6.Fill center of mold with greens and olives.
Arrange tomato wedges around mold.
Makes 6 Servings
2 1/2 cups water
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 small onion,sliced
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 16- ounce package frozen flounder,pollock,sole, or cod fillets
1/2 cup salad dressing or mayonaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
pitted olives and pimentos for garnish
1. In 12- inch skillet,into water,sprinkle gelatin. Cook over low heat, stirring,until gelatinis dissolved.
2. Add onion,salt,peppercorns and basil; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Add frozen fish fillets to skillet;heat to boiling. Reduce heat;simmer 15 minutes until fish flakes easily.
with slotted spoon,remove fish from liquid,
4.Strain liquid into 4 cup measure, disgaurding onion and peppercorns.If needed add water to make 2 1/2 cups liquid. Add fish; cover; refrigerate until thickened.
5. In covered blender container,at medium speed,blend until smooth fish mixture,salad dressing,lemon juice and hot pepper sauce.
6.Pour mixture into large bowl. Whip cream; fold into mixture. Pour into 5 cup fish shaped mold; refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
7. To serve;Unmold mousse by dipping mold into hot water for a few seconds.
8. Place flat platter over mold; invert both together and lift off mold.With sharp knife, finely slice olives and pimentos.
9. Arrange lettuce leaves and lemon wedges around fish mousse and garnish with sliced pitted olives and pimentos.
8 Appetizer or 4 Main-Dish Servings
1 can (16 oz) red salmon
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream,whipped
1. Day before: Drain salmon;remove any bones and skin.
2. Turn salmon into medium bowl;break into small pieces, with fork.
3. In electric blender, at high speed,blend salmon with vinegar,one third at a time,1 1/2 minutes, to make a puree.
4. Turn into large bowl. Fold in sour cream and horseradish.
5. In measuring cup, sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice combined with 1/4 cup water. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
6.Set in pan of boiling water, stirring to dissolve gelatin.
7.Gradually stir gelatin mixture into salmon mixture,along with salt and mustard.Fold in whipped cream just until well combined.
8.Turn into 6 (4oz) molds. Refrigerate,covered overnight,
9. Run a spatula around edge of molds; invert onto serving platter;unmold. Serve at once.
Makes 6 Servings