- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Tomato, Basil, and Goat Cheese Vegetable Skewers
Like it? Rate it!
These are a quick, healthy, and delightfully flavorful appetizer, perfect for parties or dinner events.
The vegetables combine to create a beautiful burst of color -- if you want to make it even brighter, try using a mix of different colored peppers and tomatoes.
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 oz goat cheese
- black pepper
- Sandwich picks
- Slice tomatoes in half [If you cut down through the stem area, they will keep their shape best]
- Sprinkle sliced tomatoes with salt and black pepper, to taste
- Put a small dollop of goat cheese on HALF of the tomato slices
- Get the sandwich skewers out, and use them to fix a fresh basil leaf on top of all the goat cheese
- Put the other tomato halves on top of this
- Finish off with a piece of bright-colored sweet pepper [or a hot pepper if you feel brave!]
Selecting The Tomatoes
I find the golf-ball sized cherry tomatoes work best for this recipe. Pick ones that are ripe yet still somewhat firm, so they hold their shapes and don't leak all over everything.
If you can, a selection of different tomato colors makes for an especially striking plate.
Slice Them Up
Slice your tomatoes in half, and then sprinkle the cut faces with salt and pepper [to taste].
If you cut down through the stem area, the tomatoes will hold their shape better.
Separate out HALF of your tomato halves, and put the others aside. Get out your goat cheese and divide it between the remaining tomatoes, putting a generous dollop atop each one.
Get out your fresh basil leaves, and select ones that have no holes or discolorations. Place one on top of each dollop of cheese. Fold in half if you need to.
Lastly, chop of some bright-colored peppers [I used Sweet Banana for these photos]. Whatever your favorite variety is, go with it -- or mix it up a bit for new flavor combinations.
Get out the sandwich skewers, and arrange it thusly, from bottom up: Tomato half, goat cheese, basil, second tomato half, and pepper.